Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Slope Degree?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Slope Degree?

Postby Hacksaw » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 pm

rickinco123 wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:The Backcountry Field Card by Hacksaw Publishing has a slope angle inclinometer on it for $5.50.

http://www.hacksawpublishing.com

If that is the same one I have, it has the slope measure hashes you can place on a USGS map and measure the slope by lining up the hashes with the elevation lines, awesome! The slope meter is a string placed through a hole in the card, you must fix a weight to it. I use fishing shot. Low tech and field repairable. The only downside is the slope can only be measured in 1 direction but I have always been able to compensate for that, never had a problem with wind. Also doubles as a ski scraper :-)

No, I don't think that my field card is the same one you have.

My field card does not have the slope angle "hash marks" you refer to. I personally have found those type of hash marks to be VERY misleading when it comes to exact route finding in avalanche terrain. All to often I have found avalanche slopes that "hide" in between the 40 foot contour intervals, which the hash marks don't show.

My field card has a full plumbob protractor so that you can measure slopes in both directions. And it can even be used to look down and up slope to get ruff slope angles. The great part about my field card is that it has the small group avalanche rescue flowchart on the back of it. So, its not a bad tool to have with you when the poo hits the fan... #-o

Personally, I think it is a good idea at the beginning of each winter season to use a slope inclinometer and measure lots of slopes before the snow flies; in order to develop your minds eye to "what's steep enough" to avalanche. My grange roof is 28 degrees, every time I pull out of the grange to go on a backcountry trip, I take a second or two to look at that roof and remind myself that's the slope angle to start being on guard with. 8)

HM
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby outsidemike » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:04 am

Mammut makes a great avalanche safety iPhone app that has a compass, altimeter, and an extremely accurate clinometer as well as bulletin updates and its free.
"A climber's day always starts at the crux: getting out of bed."

Postby globreal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

outsidemike wrote:Mammut makes a great avalanche safety iPhone app that has a compass, altimeter, and an extremely accurate clinometer as well as bulletin updates and its free.

Thanks Mike for the tip! Just downloaded this. Really nice.

I hope I don't get a big snow in my house. I just found out that my stairs in the prime avalanche zone at 40Ëš!
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby BKS » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 pm

I have had the same question for the same reason as the OP. I found a website that has a color coded topo(ish) map of the major resorts showing slope angle. I can't seem to find it right now - this is close - but not quite the site: http://www.skimapusa.com/tag/color-gradient/

I found that at Copper the line between Blue and Black tends to be around 30. Black to Double Black seems to be based more on hazards in terrain not just strictly slope angle.

I had hoped to ski the angel on Shavano last Spring - but climbed it in snow instead. I've read that it measures 30 degrees. When I saw it - it seemed pretty mild in comparison to Black skiing at Copper.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Wesley wrote:This one runs about $25. Seems like it should cost about $5. Nice though. I assume it is or is similar to what Tom and Kojones are using.

Carl, right on. The one I've used for many years.

I particularly like the back side of that unit - Still sits on my coffee table from last winter. Called the "Topograph," it measures slope angle off topo maps, as you know.

I've adapted it to downloaded USGS 7.5 minute series maps. Enlarge the Acrobat file to 235% and use the 80 ft contour interval to read slope angle off the contour lines for trip planning. Of course, the way snow actually covers a slope may vary somewhat, particularly with steeper slopes, but it's a great planning tool when I'm looking at a prospective winter route. Used it a ton last winter.

I think it was still about five bucks when I got mine. Can't beleive they're up to $25 now, but that feature on the back has been very useful.

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 pm

You know, a protractor costs like a buck at walmart, and if you really want to make sure you're holding it level you can get a bubble level too for about the same price.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby TomPierce » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Ya know, mine doesn't have the snow flake, just an orange center. I feel very unworthy...

I too think I may have sprung for this at the $5-10 level. Very reliable unit. As said, get something and measure lotsa slope angles so you can judge the danger zone on sight, quickly. Just my opinion.
-Tom

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 am

TomPierce wrote:Ya know, mine doesn't have the snow flake, just an orange center. I feel very unworthy...

I too think I may have sprung for this at the $5-10 level. Very reliable unit. As said, get something and measure lotsa slope angles so you can judge the danger zone on sight, quickly. Just my opinion.
-Tom

I agree with Tom. You'll soon develop a sense for slope angle.

Heck, mine sits at home on the table anymore - though it gets used regularly for route planning (Topograph on the back.)

I recall one trip last year where a fellow on the forum was trying to tell me the slope was 38 degrees. It measured 20 on the map. Avy danger was moderate that week. When we got there, it looked steeper than 20 from below. We took the safest route across, and one of the guys actually had his inclinometer and measured it at 19 degrees. It was nice to have the confirmation. Good tool, both in trip planning and in the field. Weighs less than an ounce.

So, Tom, you must have quite the museum piece - Mine's maybe twenty years old and it has the snow-flake.
I bet you still have some copperheads and Forrest chalks too, right? :lol:

Previous