Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New ski resort on Pikes Peak

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: New ski resort on Pikes Peak

Postby ryguy79 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Seriously, 650' vertical? There are bigger, snowier ski areas in the midwest.

What a joke.

Postby CR0SS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:57 pm

The lack of vertical is made up by the proximity to a large population. Look at Echo Mountain they have been doing very well since opening a few seasons ago.

I am not sure of the specifics of how much snow the area receives but a resort that small is not going for the powder crowd. With natural snow and the addition of snowmaking coverage should not be a problem.
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:54 am

Update: it turns out to be a financial scam. Sigh.
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16577383
BOULDER, Colo.—Colorado securities regulators have ordered a man hoping to open a ski resort on Pikes Peak to stop offering investments in the project.

Colorado Securities Commissioner Fred Joseph says John Ball entered into a cease-and-desist order with regulators over investments in the proposed ski area on 320 acres on the west side of the mountain. Ball is the CEO of The Resort at Pikes Peak, LLC, also named in the order.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby mattpayne11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 am

I don't have much to add that Stewart and others have not already, but I do find this whole thing to be fascinating. It's obviously a huge issue that would impact a lot of people. I don't necessarily believe that that "ski" aspect would be any good, but the ultimate goal of selling homes is what will make them the money. I think it is crazy to even dream of that right now, considering the economy's state.

Previous