Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New ski resort on Pikes Peak

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

New ski resort on Pikes Peak

Postby johnF » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Has anyone heard much about the planned ski resort on the back side of Pikes Peak, just south of the Crags?
www.skipikespeak.com

I had heard rumors a couple years ago that seemed to kind of fizzle out, but this seems to have regained steam. It sounds like they're planning to open for skiing at the start of the 2012-13 season, if all goes as planned.

Living in Divide, I'm excited about the prospect of taking my two young daughters to learn to ski at a small resort 15 minutes from home. On the other hand, I currently enjoy exploring the back side of Pikes Peak, Sentinel Point, etc. The solitude and wilderness that can be found back there will no doubt become much more scarce if these plans come to be.

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on this.

Re: New ski resort on Pikes Peak

Postby MtHurd » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:51 pm

I also heard they are going to build a road and a train to the top, plus a restaurant and a gift shop on the summit. :D

Postby CO Native » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:54 pm

The land the guy owns isn't really good for anything other than cross country skiing, and the forest service isn't real interested in leasing land to him. Plus the annual snowfall is not enough on Pikes to support a real resort so either he's going to have to build some serious snowmaking capabilities (unlikely in an area that's struggling to find enough water for its residents) or its only going to be open on an as conditions permit basis. He's been working on the idea for decades. Investors come and go, but nothing ever comes to fruition.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby rijaca » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:56 pm

"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:02 pm

CO Native wrote:The land the guy owns isn't really good for anything other than cross country skiing, and the forest service isn't real interested in leasing land to him. Plus the annual snowfall is not enough on Pikes to support a real resort so either he's going to have to build some serious snowmaking capabilities (unlikely in an area that's struggling to find enough water for its residents) or its only going to be open on an as conditions permit basis. He's been working on the idea for over a decade. Investors come and go, but nothing ever comes to fruition.

Keystone has averaged less than 200 inches the last 3 years (150' in 2009-2010). That Kansas Church group trap has made a living off ripping off tourists for years and using their involvement with VR as a way to consider themselves a legitimate ski resort. No surprise though, a dog food company was their primary investor back in the day.

Anyways, my point I guess is snow accumulations haven't stopped ski resorts in the past. I'd rather see CB or Telluride expand their already solid terrain than something like this, although Pikes would be a cool setting for a resort, specially for folks living in the Springs region.

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Too bad we don't get more snow in Lakewood. Green Mountain would be an awesome spot for a lift. :YY

Postby CO Native » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:11 pm

If they could pull it off they'd have a great client base since the next closest resorts to the Springs are Monarch and Breck. That's a long haul for skiing. Even if they priced tickets similar to Monarch people would still be saving a ton on gas money. I'd just hate to see that area get developed. It's fantastic hiking with a lot of trails that hardly get used. Plus I really don't want ski traffic to get any worse than it already is.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby tmathews » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:17 pm

CO Native wrote:Plus I really don't want ski traffic to get any worse than it already is.

Heh, could you imagine all that ski traffic on 67 and 24 through Woodland Park? Yikes! :shock:

Postby tommyboy360 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:28 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Keystone has averaged less than 200 inches the last 3 years (150' in 2009-2010). That Kansas Church group trap has made a living off ripping off tourists for years and using their involvement with VR as a way to consider themselves a legitimate ski resort. No surprise though, a dog food company was their primary investor back in the day.

Keystone and the "Dillon Donut" offer the worst snow conditions in sumco. I think Echo gets more snow than they do. Keystone is just a PR machine with a giant tractor beam to keep the crowds away from Aspen, T-Ride, Steamboat, Wolf Creek, Loveland and CB.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:56 pm

From what I recall, the land owner is Harvey T. Carter, a legend in Colorado rock climbing. And yeah, the ski resort discussion has been going on for years. I personally don't see it ever happening.

For those interested, Carter founded Climbing magazine, held the first ever bouldering competition in the world, and is often credited with doing more first ascents than anyone in the world. Pick up any rock climbing book, and Harvey's name is in it.

Postby ajkagy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:24 pm

"Since 1937, the west side has received an average of 144" of snow a year."

now THATS funny...
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:27 pm

tmathews wrote:
CO Native wrote:Plus I really don't want ski traffic to get any worse than it already is.

Heh, could you imagine all that ski traffic on 67 and 24 through Woodland Park? Yikes! :shock:

It'll be nothing compared with the gambling traffic. They're shooting for about 800 skiers per day; Cripple Creek probably gets 5,000 gamblers on weekend nights. Also, the skiers won't be coming through at the same time of day as those going to and from Summit County; they should be later in the morning and earlier in the evening.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Next