Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Locations of summer snow

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Locations of summer snow

Postby CR0SS » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Isabelle was a good ski. I was up there Saturday. I am sure it was RisinOrion I ran into at the glacier. I ended up skiing Queens Ways. I did not ski it from the top. I skied from right where it narrowed down about 3/4 of the way up. The runnels were about 10-12" deep and only about a foot and a half between them from there to the top. It did not leave much room for setting edges to make turns. I played it safe and just skied from there.

I am loving the drop in temperatures. I am keeping an eye on the weather and starting to look for chances to gets some turns in fresh snow.

My trip was a little different than everyone else. I arrived at the park around 8:30. The trailhead was full so I had to park down the road a little ways. For as many cars as there was the trail was not that bad. I started to see people on the trail about the point I hit the lake. The rest of the way up and the way down I was almost always close to someone. The hike down once I hit the lake took a little while, every kid wanted to stop and pet my dog. Of course my dog loved all the attention.

I was surprised at all the snow in the area and it is fairly clean. I say lots possibilities. Just the 3 hour drive to get over there is a bit of a downer.
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 am

As someone else had asked earlier in this thread, what would one expect from St. Mary's Glacier right now?
Go get it

Postby dnye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:48 pm

I would reccomend sending a message to "glacierpaul". He lives up there and maintains the parking area.

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8049

Postby Jesse Peterson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:39 am

Guess I'll be jumping on the bandwagon and skiing Isabelle tomorrow (9/18).

Strangely, it's been difficult to recruit skiing partners this week. If anyone wants to join me, the company would be appreciated. Shooting to reach the TH by 6:30 a.m., driving a blue Tacoma. I'm thinking about a quick climb of Navajo via Airplane gully before the snow softens up (stash the skis at the glacier en route), looks like the weather should be pretty awesome for it.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby SkiNowWorkLater » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:28 am

Jesse Peterson wrote:Guess I'll be jumping on the bandwagon and skiing Isabelle tomorrow (9/18).

Strangely, it's been difficult to recruit skiing partners this week. If anyone wants to join me, the company would be appreciated. Shooting to reach the TH by 6:30 a.m., driving a blue Tacoma. I'm thinking about a quick climb of Navajo via Airplane gully before the snow softens up (stash the skis at the glacier en route), looks like the weather should be pretty awesome for it.

Hey Jesse-

Let me know how your trip goes and what the glacier is looking like. I might get up there to ski it this weekend.

Postby RisinOrion » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:54 pm

SkiNowWorkLater wrote:
Jesse Peterson wrote:Guess I'll be jumping on the bandwagon and skiing Isabelle tomorrow (9/18).

Hey Jesse-

Let me know how your trip goes and what the glacier is looking like. I might get up there to ski it this weekend.

Yes! Be sure to let us know how it goes. Without any freshies falling the September turns are looking quite daunting.

Postby Jesse Peterson » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Got my September turns in today. What a beautiful valley. Conditions were typical for late summer, including runnels, sun cups, penitentes, many rocks embedded in the snow, and hard ice. I was actually kicking rocks loose from the snow as I skied. Beat the crap out of my Mantras- I think they liked it. The Isabelle Glacier has melted out considerably in the last month, and lots of water could be heard running underneath the surface. I lapped it twice, once down the middle, and once down the white-ish tongue of snow from the top of the glacier (just looker's right of Queen's Way, which looks covered enough to climb but pretty heinous for skiing). The snow is really bumpy, but there were a couple of slightly-less-shitty areas where a few turns could be linked. I did not use crampons for the ascent, just bootpacked with one ice axe. Hung out by the tarn for a long time and just really enjoyed the day. Not too many people around for a Saturday.

"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby Steve Knapp » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Cool, way to be a die-hard and get the Sept turns. I like the icebergs floating in the glacial lake. Looks like Lake Isabelle might be starting to refill now.

Hopefully your October turns will be much better. Of course the lifts will be turning then.

Previous