Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Locations of summer snow

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Locations of summer snow

Postby CR0SS » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Lets get a single place here going for pictures or just locations of summer snow. There are a few of us who try to ski year round and finding places to go can be difficult. I know I am not the only one looking a pictures in the trip reports for places to go ski.

So post up pictures of places you have seen snow in need of tracks laid down it.
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.

Re: Locations of summer snow

Postby benners » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:44 am

Try upper Montezuma Basin, or St. Mary's...I'm sure there are plenty of others but those are two that come to my mind.

Postby Daniel Trugman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 pm

We saw a few people ski the Lamb's Slide on Longs Peak while we were on the Diamond last weekend. I don't know, however, if the conditions were any good, and I don't know how long the snow will last.
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir

Postby fahixson » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Saw 4-5 skiers near Navajo Peak in IPW. Started at Long Lake TH. We weren't skiing and didn't specifically take pictures of the snow, but these pictures give you a general idea of what it looks like if you haven't been there recently (see #2, #3, and #8 of 34 . . .

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=250861591212%3A346734852&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharer

Postby CoulKurt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Pt 14169 on Mt Massive. Ive ridden there in July/August several times.
A little less conversation, a little more action. -Elvis

Postby CR0SS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Montezuma and St. Mary's are givens for year round skiing.

I wonder if this was the group you saw from Navajo Peak? They skied Apache Couloir.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196131

Any word on some places in the Elk Mountains? I want to get out tomorrow, just trying to figure out where to go. Montezuma is out, I have skied that place way to many times.

Postby CO Native » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Here is a photo posted in a recent trip report by Dancesatmoonrise of Castle/Conundrum:
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby CR0SS » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 pm

The rocks in Conundrum couloir were a little disappointing to see this spring. I had planed on skiing the couloir this summer, guess it will have to wait.

Montezuma Basin is still hard not to go ski. It is just to damned convenient. Being able to drive all the way up the road and put the ski boots on at the Jeep is very nice. You can park within 100 yards of the snow.

Postby Jesse Peterson » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:37 pm

CR0SS wrote:Montezuma Basin is still hard not to go ski. It is just to damned convenient. Being able to drive all the way up the road and put the ski boots on at the Jeep is very nice. You can park within 100 yards of the snow.

This little snowfield isn't what one would consider "convenient," being several miles and a couple thousand vert. above the trailhead, but it provided some steep turns. This is the lower E headwall of Pacific Peak, up McCullough Gulch near Breck. So nice I skied it twice:

The east side of Fletcher is still holding a bit of snow, that left couloir looks fun:

"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby Jesse Peterson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Interesting, this thread reminds me of the old Lao Tzu quote: "Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know."
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby CoulKurt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:05 pm

What is interesting is that you brought this post back from 4 days ago with nothing positive to add. This site is all about sharing info. So thanks for nothing. We can tell by the 4 feet of air in your avatar how you roll.
A little less conversation, a little more action. -Elvis

Postby Jesse Peterson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:10 pm

Wow, case in point. That's 40 feet of air-- the trees are really, really tall.

Next