Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Summer Skiing Stoke

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Summer Skiing Stoke

Postby Jesse Peterson » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Summer skiing season is in full swing. The brown, gloppy, rock-studded snow is in prime condition. Where have the other ski/ride addicts been getting their fix these past few weeks?

Clinton Peak (above Wheeler Lake) was in good shape two weeks ago with minimal billygoating-- nearly 2,000' vert of turns, clear down to the lake.

The Tenmile Range is still holding some skiable mank but I'm ooking for creative ideas for July turns-- something besides 4th of July bowl, etc. A few miles of hiking is not a problem, even an overnight would be cool. Maybe the Elks? Ideas?
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Re: Summer Skiing Stoke

Postby Monster5 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:14 pm

I met a couple guys at the Castle/Conundrum saddle last weekend who had been skiing every month for something like 36 consecutive months. It looked like they had some decent skiing there and elsewhere in the Elks
"Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man." - Walter Bonatti

Postby CR0SS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:04 am

Montezuma Basin is still holding decent snow. I am in the search of new places to go, I have skied Montezuma way to many times now.

Last weekend in Montezuma Basin:

I was thinking about hitting this line on Mt. Sopris. The pinch at the top has melted out but I might go up if I get the chance the next couple days.
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.

Postby Jesse Peterson » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Monster5 wrote:I met a couple guys at the Castle/Conundrum saddle last weekend who had been skiing every month for something like 36 consecutive months. It looked like they had some decent skiing there and elsewhere in the Elks

Nice, I'm working on my 34th consecutive month. This looks to be the driest of the past 3 years, August and September should be interesting.

CROSS, that line on Sopris looks intriguing. Good luck!

A friend who just hiked Eagle's Nest in the Gore Range took some photos of the snowfield above Bubble Lake. It looks to be in really good shape with several options. The access to Bubble Lake is another story, though...
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby CR0SS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:37 pm

I did not make it up Sopris. The line has really disappeared in the past few days. I just could not motivate myself for the long hit to hit that line.

Time to start scoping out some lines for the next few weeks.

I am only on my 17th month straight right now.
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.

Postby gb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Skied Treasury outside CB with a friend on the 4th who just hit 128 straight months. I'm done for the year, but that line will be in for a while and access is easy for anyone looking.

Postby Jesse Peterson » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Dag, 128 consecutive months is impressive. "T-Bar" Tommy in Breck told me he hit 60 months in a row, back in the day, and that seemed like a lot. Now I have a new mark to shoot for.

Sweet line on Treasury. I may have to head up there next week and see what remains..