Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

THE EDGE OF NEVER

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

THE EDGE OF NEVER

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:05 pm

I just finished watching "THE EDGE OF NEVER," a great documentary film, which I thought was quite timely subject material to share with the 14ers.com forum. You may already be familiar with the book or someone else may have already posted it… The movie pairs a young Kye Peterson (15year old whose father, Trevor Peterson, was killed in an avalanche on Chamonix's Le Glacier Rond) with mentors Anselme Baud (whose son was killed while climbing the Gervasutti Couloir in Chamonix) and ski legend Glen Plake.

Glen Plake decides it’s time for Trevor’s 15-year-old son, Kye, to ski the route that killed his father and join the tribe of big-mountain skiers. In this thrilling film, three generations of skiers mentor Kye as he attempts to finish his father’s final run. A ripping adventure tale of a young man coming of age, The Edge of Never is also a rich and subtle portrait of men and women who live big in the face of their greatest fears.

The documentary correlates strongly with subjects discussed on this forum regarding risk, inexperience, tradegy and mentoring -- all in the shadows of great loss. Glen Plake sums it up nicely:
You have to be in the rhythm of the mountains. Sometimes you can go across here and nothing would happen; other times this would be the craziest place to ever go. You have to decide, does the mountain want you there right now or not?

Stunning mountain/ski footage shot in HD. This is a good uplifting movie and a reminder of the extra risks we all take on in the pursuit of excitement/challenge. Kye skis roped in a good part of the movie, which features intense slopes with tons of exposure and alpine ice conditions. This is a great reminder and a nice tribute/memorial. It’s also another reason to declare Glen Plake as crazy, but in a good way;) Check it out.

http://www.edgeofneverfilm.com/
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Re: THE EDGE OF NEVER

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeah, that footage of Eric Pehota skiing off the top of Mt.Waddington is pretty awsome. I read this book a bit ago, never saw the movie itself. Pretty mature 15 year old.

A lot of these same faces were featured in the movie "Steep", a look into the minds of backcountry skiers from the beginning in Chamonix and Bill Briggs 1st descent of the Grand to the modern day w/ Davenport, Morrison, McConkey and Backstrom (who is f'ing hot). That guy Baud and his buddy Marc Bovin were definately flirting with insanity with some of the lines they skied in France. Kind of interesting to see and hear Glen Plake in a different light, other than the mohawk'd dare devil. I love Doug Coombs quote in that movie "I tried to become a normal person and live a normal life....but that didn't work".

Postby ajkagy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:40 pm

saw this at mountain film in telluride...great flick
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby BillKerig » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for the kind words, Tommy, lord, aj. I appreciate it, and your support.

Cheers,
Bill Kerig

Postby scott goldberg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:57 pm

Bill...

Caught this movie on cable, and now have it at home. It did a great job of tying together the past, present, and future of big mountain skiing, and dealing with the balance between responsibility and the call to adventure...I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks again...

Scott

Postby Breckskier » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Scott,

Where and when did you catch this on Cable? I read the book but missed the short movie tour that came through town last year. Would love to set the Tivo and catch the movie as the book was awesome.
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller

Postby scott goldberg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:12 pm

Breck...

It's been on one of the movie channels since the beginning of the year, and it was "on demand" with comcast for a while. i want to say showtime, but we get all the channels, and my memory is starting to go, so i might be wrong. It returns from time to time, but it was really epic in HD!

...Scott

Postby dubsho3000 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:54 pm

It doesn't appear that this is on Netflix. Does anyone dispute that (maybe I'm not looking it up correctly)?

Postby kaiman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:19 pm

dubsho3000 wrote:It doesn't appear that this is on Netflix. Does anyone dispute that (maybe I'm not looking it up correctly)?

ILL it through your library: http://www.millennium.marmot.org/search/a?searchtype=Y&searcharg=the+edge+of+never&SORT=D&searchscope=93&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Submit
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby dubsho3000 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:40 pm

good idea. although I'm not sure what ILL means

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:40 pm

dubsho3000 wrote:good idea. although I'm not sure what ILL means

Inter-library loan?
Expect to go the wrong way some of the time. -- Gerry Roach

Postby scott goldberg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Breck...

Okay, so i got home and checked on the cable (comcast), and it's on quite a few times during july...a few upcoming showings:

ch 583 11-12:55 pm 7/14
ch 581 8:05-9:50am 7/18
ch 581 8-9:45 pm 7/18
ch 583 4:10-6 pm 7/19

after that, like i said, it's on quite a few times during the rest of the month...

hope this helps

...Scott