Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Doing the Dog

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Doing the Dog

Postby fiddlinclimber » Wed May 12, 2010 12:33 pm

burningthebushes wrote:I need to feel good about myself too while sitting at my computer hiding in the world of the internet. What! Morons! What terrible advice! These people must be high and stupid. I mean, isn't that what 14ers.com is for, sending the inexperienced out to overcrowd the 14ers.

I'm not getting up in arms or anything. I just think the article downplays the seriousness of the line a little too much. You're right- 14ers.com is for sending inexperienced people out to the overcrowded mountains. But 14ers.com does a good job of informing inexperienced people how to get into hiking 14ers safely. The article says that Dead Dog is a good first line for someone who hasn't ever climbed a 14er. I do think that is terrible advice. At the least, the article could have recommended that anyone wanting to attempt lines like this should get some avalanche training.

Postby lordhelmut » Wed May 12, 2010 1:42 pm

should've recomended Superstar Couloir on James Peak. Its got easy access too. Better yet, how bout s**t for Brains. Thats about as easy access as it gets!

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Mon May 17, 2010 10:12 am

12 years ago, before this article was written, it was my first summer out here. I'd done some skiing back east, but wouldn't have considered myself an expert. I had a pair of ski boots but no skis with me, I found a pair in the dumpster outside of the apartment I was living in. They fit my boots, so on the 4th of July my brother and I headed out for the Dead Dog. We summited at 2pm and dropped into the chute, setting off a series of wet slides that took off into the runnel, smashing the rocks below and sending spray 20 feet in the air. I remember thinking to myself, "wow, man, this is awesome, far out". We skied out the bottom as unscathed extreme skiers.

Postby aHudge » Mon May 17, 2010 11:24 am

SchralpTheGnar wrote:12 years ago, before this article was written, it was my first summer out here. I'd done some skiing back east, but wouldn't have considered myself an expert. I had a pair of ski boots but no skis with me, I found a pair in the dumpster outside of the apartment I was living in. They fit my boots, so on the 4th of July my brother and I headed out for the Dead Dog. We summited at 2pm and dropped into the chute, setting off a series of wet slides that took off into the runnel, smashing the rocks below and sending spray 20 feet in the air. I remember thinking to myself, "wow, man, this is awesome, far out". We skied out the bottom as unscathed extreme skiers.

that's a great story.
thanks for posting that!

Postby Jim Davies » Mon May 17, 2010 3:55 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:We skied out the bottom as unscathed extreme skiers.

Careful, you'll get the MrWaffles award for telling stories like this one. :wink:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby JeffR » Mon May 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Where is Senor Breakfast Food lately anyway?

Well, now that you got me thinking about it...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Mon May 17, 2010 8:50 pm

I just re-read that whole waffles post for amusement... That makes my day every time I read how bad he got bashed :lol:

Postby Mrwaffles989 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:56 pm

Happy to be there for your amusement.
Mrwaffles on Facebook

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for Godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches-that is the right and privilege of any free American." -Edward Abbey,

Postby CO Native » Thu May 20, 2010 8:59 am

Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu May 20, 2010 9:31 am

Josh,

I believe that route in the TR is the Emporer on the N side of Torrey's and not DD on the east (I THINK). Someone with more knowledge of that mountain could chime in. Either way people should still be aware of the hazards in the backcountry and assume the risks. The article makes DD sound like a patrolled ski trail at a ski area.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby CO Native » Thu May 20, 2010 9:49 am

It wasn't the specific couloir I thought was interesting but the fact that an inexperienced BC skier went out skiing on Torreys without anyone in the party that was able to assess the avalanche conditions. A situation that some of the earlier posts mentioned might be a result of such an article underplaying the dangers and required skills.

fiddlinclimber wrote:Seems like it has potential to encourage "neophytes" to get in over their heads! But anyway, if anyone is thinking of doing the Dog, you better do it quick before all of Boulder is up there!
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby ryanokarmic » Thu May 27, 2010 8:20 am

I seriously doubt swarms of people will suddenly go kill themselves in Dead Dog in the coming couple weeks; as is often the case anytime anything happens or may happen, there's a lot of overreacting going on.

zing.

PreviousNext