Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Doing the Dog

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Doing the Dog

Postby fiddlinclimber » Wed May 12, 2010 9:49 am

Anyone else catch this article in Boulder Weekly?

http://www.boulderweekly.com/article-2490-doing-the-dog.html

My favorite line:

"The best part of doing the Dog is the access."

But in all seriousness, does this article disturb anyone else? It makes it sound as though any advanced-intermediate skier or boarder can waltz up Torreys and do Dead Dog with no trouble at all. The article only mentions the word avalanche once.

"If you’ve never climbed a fourteener, or skied down one, Dead Dog offers neophytes the chance to see what big mountain lines are all about."

Seems like it has potential to encourage "neophytes" to get in over their heads! But anyway, if anyone is thinking of doing the Dog, you better do it quick before all of Boulder is up there!

Re: Doing the Dog

Postby dubsho3000 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:59 am

"Try this descent while getting high on a fourteener "

This also seems like some sketchy advice, especially considering their sponsors. A conflict of interest?

Postby Rich H » Wed May 12, 2010 10:08 am

"Seems like it has potential to encourage "neophytes" to get in over their heads! But anyway, if anyone is thinking of doing the Dog, you better do it quick before all of Boulder is up there!"

lol...I recall climbing Skywalker on S Arap. several years ago. It gets steep at the top 70 to 80 degrees for a pitch or two. Then breaks out onto summit. I was freaked out when I got to the top, and there sat about 20 other climbers all waiting for the snow to ripen so they could drop in. Boulder indeed.

Postby JB99 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:11 am

Start early to avoid afternoon avalanche danger, when wet slides caused by a warming snowpack are risky on steeper terrain.

That should suffice for proper avi training and evaluation... especially for people who are used to swimming in the avi safe fish-bowl that is the ski resorts. I wonder if the author has any experience in the mountains at all? Pretty irresponsible article.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby BIO_KNEE » Wed May 12, 2010 10:27 am

How many times do you think Alpine SAR will get called up there next winter? Or will the Boulderites smoke it out of their memories by then? [-o<

As if G&T wasn't crowded enough already :roll:

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:06 am

dubsho3000 wrote:"Try this descent while getting high on a fourteener "

This also seems like some sketchy advice, especially considering their sponsors. A conflict of interest?

+1

Another great article encouraging less experienced folks to get into trouble up there.. :?
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby burningthebushes » Wed May 12, 2010 11:12 am

I need to feel good about myself too while sitting at my computer hiding in the world of the internet. What! Morons! What terrible advice! These people must be high and stupid. I mean, isn't that what 14ers.com is for, sending the inexperienced out to overcrowd the 14ers.
Andy

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 am

As a dispatcher for search and rescue I'm happy that this article isn't referring to anything in my county. The author calls it an "advanced intermediate" ski? I can't imagine that there are any intermediate runs anywhere in the world as committing and dangerous as the Dead Dog. Perhaps they should clarify that for a backcountry run that it is advanced-intermediate and that you should have considerable experience first and I may agree. This makes it sound like any person with a snowboard or pair of skis can come do this with no problems whatsoever. Completely irresponsible.

Postby Bean » Wed May 12, 2010 11:34 am

I imagine most people who have no business being there would get to the top (if they made it that far), look down the line, and go back down the way they came. Most people have a pretty decent sense of self-preservation. And in late spring/early summer, "start early to avoid wet slides" really is all you usually need to know unless there was a recent loading event. I seriously doubt swarms of people will suddenly go kill themselves in Dead Dog in the coming couple weeks; as is often the case anytime anything happens or may happen, there's a lot of overreacting going on.

Postby BIO_KNEE » Wed May 12, 2010 11:54 am

I worry about people who don't understand snow! Allot of people already ski/ride the BC and get in trouble not knowing what to do, or where to go. #-o

http://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_report.php?acc_id=29&accfm=off

Postby Bean » Wed May 12, 2010 11:58 am

I don't see a lot of similarity between a winter slab avalanche at Loveland Pass (which, as everyone knows, never slides) and spring snow in an east-facing big mountain line.

Postby BIO_KNEE » Wed May 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Dumb people do dumb things, like go for east facing big mountain lines in winter, not spring!

I’m just saying that it was a poorly written article that improperly rates a big mountain line.

Next