Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Partners April 28-May 2

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski Partners April 28-May 2

Postby fiddlinclimber » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:58 pm

I had a big tour planned this spring, but my partners had to cancel. I already requested the time off work, so now I'm looking for a new plan! I'm open to pretty much anything that involves summits and descents. Here are my ideas so far:

Sunshine/Redcloud
Handies
Sneffels
Evans/Beirstadt
Something in the Indian Peaks
Something in the Gore Range
Start picking off routes from Front Range Descents

If anyone is interested in joining me on those days let me know! I'd be open to a multi-day trip, or several single-day trips.

Jeff

Re: Ski Partners April 28-May 2

Postby SkiBum1287 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I'd be interested in one of the closer peaks as a day trip, or a short overnighter. That is if you're willing to take somebody with limited backcountry skiing experience. I'm in Golden as well, so carpooling should be easy.

Nick
Snow!

Postby LIV » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:33 pm

OK -- so I am up -- probably a one dayer somewhere.

Postby clemsonmtneer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:13 pm

I'd also be interested in something closer to the Front Range (preferably a day trip). Also somewhat limited in backcountry skiing experience if you're ok with that (strong resort skier, some backcountry experience on Vail Pass, Berthoud Pass, etc., just haven't done much spring ski mountaineering). I have a new AT set-up though and looking to put it to good use this spring. Let me know what your plans are as next week rolls around.

Postby fiddlinclimber » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:13 pm

I believe that I have found a group to join for the weekend, but I am still looking for partners Wednesday-Friday. I'd really like to find someone to do Sunshine and Redcloud. The plan would be to drive down and hike/skin in on Wed, and ski both the peaks Thursday. I'm sure we could spot another line for a quick ski on Friday morning before we hike out. Any takers?

If I can't find anyone soon, I'll let everyone know and do something closer to the Front Range.

Postby ajkagy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:39 pm

fiddlinclimber wrote:I believe that I have found a group to join for the weekend, but I am still looking for partners Wednesday-Friday. I'd really like to find someone to do Sunshine and Redcloud. The plan would be to drive down and hike/skin in on Wed, and ski both the peaks Thursday. I'm sure we could spot another line for a quick ski on Friday morning before we hike out. Any takers?

If I can't find anyone soon, I'll let everyone know and do something closer to the Front Range.

What peaks were you looking at in the front range? I've skiied almost everything in the indian peaks...there are so many fantastic lines up there that are under the radar.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby fiddlinclimber » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:15 pm

ajkagy wrote:What peaks were you looking at in the front range? I've skiied almost everything in the indian peaks...there are so many fantastic lines up there that are under the radar.

Too many choices! In the Indian Peaks, I'm thinking about Crooked Couloir on Audubon, Curvaceous on Paiute, Mt Toll, Apache Peak, or maybe even Skywalker on South Arapaho. You've probably done all these. Which was your favorite? I'm certainly open to suggestions as well.

Postby frntrangr » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 am

Probably going to be skiing Sneffels over that weekend if you are interested

Postby ajkagy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:50 pm

fiddlinclimber wrote:
ajkagy wrote:What peaks were you looking at in the front range? I've skiied almost everything in the indian peaks...there are so many fantastic lines up there that are under the radar.

Too many choices! In the Indian Peaks, I'm thinking about Crooked Couloir on Audubon, Curvaceous on Paiute, Mt Toll, Apache Peak, or maybe even Skywalker on South Arapaho. You've probably done all these. Which was your favorite? I'm certainly open to suggestions as well.

Mt Toll is one of my favorites, albeit it's not that high in elevation the quality of skiing makes up for it. It's a fantastic looking mountain from blue lake and you get a bit of everything for that day. (biking, skinning, snow climb). The only downside is that it can get "crowded" where as crooked is less traveled.

I still haven't gotten out to the St. vrain glacier areas and there are some really good looking lines on the western side of the divide as well...there are so many options up there where you won't see a single person all day.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.