Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Mountaineering for Beginners

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski Mountaineering for Beginners

Postby dbenhorin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:32 am

I apologize, allow me to elaborate...they have heaps of sidecountry experience and have basic avy training. Looking more for a backcountry experience with a snow climb and possible ski, conditions permitting.
Last edited by dbenhorin on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ski Mountaineering for Beginners

Postby tress » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:11 am

if your supposed to be the "leader" "guide" you should be knowledgeable about which 14ers are "good" "low consequence" peaks, no? you are taking kids out into the backcountry without the knowledge of where to begin...whats your backcountry experience?

Postby Cruiser » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 am

Maybe you could head up to Loveland ski area after the resort closes next month. You could take your crew skinning up the ski area with the objective of making it all the way up to the ridge and then skiing back down. Sounds fairly low consequence to me.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby JakeK » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 am

I think starting at a ski area is a great idea. You'll be on snow that is skier compacted and safer. And you'll still get the experience of hiking, and having some solitude on the mountain.

Postby Fiemus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 am

I agree that a ski area would be a reasonable choice.

You could try this course from the 5 peaks race at Breck that combines "side-country" with resort slopes: http://www.thefivepeaks.com/course.

The lifts at Breck close after this weekend - but keep in mind that it also means that avi control also stops - so you should take all of the same backcountry precautions (beacon, probe, shovel, knowledge on how to use them, route finding and avi risk analysis, etc.). You also need to be aware that when the resort closes there may be plenty of mountain ops and construction activity that starts up that you need to stay clear of.

Postby JayMiller » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:42 am

The ski areas are a good idea. But, keep in mind that a skier was killed at A Basin last year in a late season wet slab slid in bounds before they closed. Don't assume that a slidable slope will be safe just because it is in bounds.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby rijaca » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:01 pm

JayMiller wrote:The ski areas are a good idea. But, keep in mind that a skier was killed at A Basin last year in a late season wet slab slid in bounds before they closed. Don't assume that a slidable slope will be safe just because it is in bounds.

I believe the incident that you are referring to occurred in May 2005: http://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/accidents_co.php?accident=20050520
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Magnum420 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:11 pm

You could try this course from the 5 peaks race at Breck that combines "side-country" with resort slopes: http://www.thefivepeaks.com/course.

Breck ski patrol did avy control on peak 10 for this race(4/10), but be aware there was a slide on peak 10 a day or two ago very close to where the race course went.

From the CAIC 4/15;
<<Last night's freeze was not too cold. The cold spot in the zone is surprisingly the summit of Vail Pass this am recording 20 degrees. Wind speeds have been light and there were a few high clouds helping keep the cooler temperatures at bay. The only avalanche activity to report was a small boarder triggered slab on the East face of Peak 10 in the Ten-mile Range. The avalanche was triggered by cutting a cornice.>>
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby pioletski » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:11 pm

There are plenty of accessible and spectacular (and not-too-difficult) routes in the Indian Peaks area. Mt Toll and Pawnee Peak come readily to mind. There is a nice guidebook out: Front Range Descents by Haddad and Faughey.

However, to expand on what others have said in this thread - you might consider a few midwinter cross-country ski tours, maybe a hut trip or two, so that your kids have some backcountry experience before they start going after high peaks.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo