Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

VAIL's best day this year

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: VAIL's best day this year

Postby Magnum420 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:15 pm

Vail was unreal today!!! Skiers right in sundown bowl was waist to chest deep, 2ish feet everywhere else. Best day of the year by far! I was still getting face shots at 1pm.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby bmcconahey » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks for making us all jealous guys. I have to ask though, on the "best day of the year," why are you writing about it at 2:30/3:00pm and not still skiing it?!?!?! #-o

Postby Yikes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:20 pm

monarch didnt get that much last night, only 8"... but it also rocked this morning. big smiles.

Postby JakeK » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:38 pm

yeah, it was a pretty ridiculous amount of snow... i hiked up this morning for dawn patrol and in my 2 seasons living here, i've never seen so much snow on the front side on the mountain. took a nice 3 hour lunch break and got some more laps in; it was starting to get heavy by 2pm, especially on south facing slopes... but still no complaints, it was awesome!

Postby KrazyK » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I wish I could have made it up to enjoy it as well, but glad to see that some others were able to get some! Not a bad last few weeks at Vail and the Beave!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Postby prestone818 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:10 pm

showoff :evil:

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Nice work Bill. Glad you left the sled at home today, cause Vail Pass wasn't very fun. It was REALLY hard to breathe. 6'3" guys were getting a lot of snow in their mouths, even at 3pm.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:20 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:Nice work Bill. Glad you left the sled at home today, cause Vail Pass wasn't very fun. It was REALLY hard to breathe. 6'3" guys were getting a lot of snow in their mouths, even at 3pm.

Nice!
I haven't done ski laps at VP in a couple of weeks. Been spending most of my sled time on the high peaks east of Breckenridge. Some surprisingly good conditions lately.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Scott P » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Supposedly some places in the Wasatch got 87" out of this one storm. Alta has a 157" base. A group of us were thinking of climbing Timpanogos in the near future, but I'd be that it's avalanche city over there right now.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby skiwall » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Scott P wrote:Supposedly some places in the Wasatch got 87" out of this one storm. Alta has a 157" base.

It. Was. Sick. :D

Seriously.

It wasn't really 87 out of one storm, but we got 48 inches in almost 48 hours... and 87 is low for the week. Yesterday we had 112 inches for the 7 day total. Didn't think it was going to happen this year, but I'm so glad it did.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby bckcntryskr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 pm

It was indeed an EPIC day at Vail. Drop a knee and swalllow powder. We were still finding freshies in the afternoon and never stopped. Lunch on the chair, legs on fire.......Epic
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby anthonylebaron » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:32 pm

skiwall wrote:It. Was. Sick. :D

That's an understatement. After getting a few first tracks at The Canyons yesterday, I managed to get face shots long into the afternoon. Best day of the season for me, hands down.

PreviousNext