Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Monarch BBQ on closing day Sunday

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Monarch BBQ on closing day Sunday

Postby mountainmicah83 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:03 am

Not really 14er skiing although I think you can see the backside of Shav and Tab.

I'm sure you will be tired from the gathering at Sherman on Saturday but if you have any energy left because you are a BA mountaineer, Monarch is closing Sunday and I plan on cooking up some burgers and dogs and enjoy a couple of brews in the parking lot for lunch. It's a shame to have to close with a 78" base but that just means it's just about time to kick off the spring 14er skiing. Just look for the Blue Beetle. I will be willing to trade Food for Beer and vice versa!

Any takers?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Re: Monarch BBQ on closing day Sunday

Postby mbourget » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am

mountainmicah83 wrote: It's a shame to have to close with a 78" base ?

yeah no kidding especially with up to another foot predicted over the next couple of days. Depending on my Sat night I may have to take you up on that

Postby cwm » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:22 am

The ski resorts usually close due to lack of customers rather than lack of snow. People start doing other things, golf, tennis or whatever and just quit going to ski. I remember many years ago one of the ski areas closed in April and it still had a 130" base.

Postby tress » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 am

feel free to earn your turns...wait.... nevermind it's closed stay away. :roll:

Postby mountainmicah83 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:58 pm

tress wrote:feel free to earn your turns...wait.... nevermind it's closed stay away. :roll:

I will be earning enough turns for the both of us this season. Just you wait :D
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby OldRam » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 pm

I believe the way it works the ski area is under special use permit from the FS. They have a particular close date on the permit, usually with a 2 week extension option. Doesn't matter how much snow there is, the date is the date.

Oh, and I will probably be in Maysville Sunday, was thinking about hitting Monarch for a half day before I head back home. Let's see, Wally World sells half-decent beer...?

Postby JakeK » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:42 pm

Yeah, I think you're right. At Vail, for example, they have to close down b/c the Elk Migration (at least thats what I've been told). Who cares, though, by late April the snowpack should be setting up nicely all over the state, and we can finally start getting after some of the bigger lines.

Postby mbourget » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:13 pm

cwm wrote:The ski resorts usually close due to lack of customers rather than lack of snow. People start doing other things, golf, tennis or whatever and just quit going to ski.

it doesnt have anything to do with the lack of customers, it is the expiration of the permits with the forest service that dictate how long a resort will stay open.

Postby tmathews » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 pm

OldRam wrote:I believe the way it works the ski area is under special use permit from the FS. They have a particular close date on the permit, usually with a 2 week extension option. Doesn't matter how much snow there is, the date is the date.

Oh, and I will probably be in Maysville Sunday, was thinking about hitting Monarch for a half day before I head back home. Let's see, Wally World sells half-decent beer...?

3.2 beer. Why not just go to a liquor store? They're open on Sundays here, now.

Postby OldRam » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Oh, that's right, 3.2 beer! Do you guys really still do that up there? I thought that died with the 21 drinking age. Made many a run up to Cheyenne during the day.

And I thought NM was third-world like when we couldn't buy alcohol on Sunday. We've changed that for a while now.

Postby tmathews » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:36 pm

OldRam wrote:Oh, that's right, 3.2 beer! Do you guys really still do that up there? I thought that died with the 21 drinking age. Made many a run up to Cheyenne during the day.

And I thought NM was third-world like when we couldn't buy alcohol on Sunday. We've changed that for a while now.

We still can't buy vehicles on the Sabbath day. :twisted:

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:40 pm

mountainmicah83 wrote:Not really 14er skiing although I think you can see the backside of Shav and Tab.

I'm sure you will be tired from the gathering at Sherman on Saturday but if you have any energy left because you are a BA mountaineer, Monarch is closing Sunday and I plan on cooking up some burgers and dogs and enjoy a couple of brews in the parking lot for lunch. It's a shame to have to close with a 78" base but that just means it's just about time to kick off the spring 14er skiing. Just look for the Blue Beetle. I will be willing to trade Food for Beer and vice versa!

Any takers?

I'll be up there.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Next