Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shavano this week

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Shavano this week

Postby ap snow » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Anyone want to give Shavano a go tomorrow or Thursday? Let me know.

Re: Shavano this week

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:55 pm

I will climb it with you tomorrow. Let me know early enough to get some snowshoes

Postby rolo tomassi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Just an FYI-

the snowpackin southern chaffee county is really "weird" right now. On monarch pass there were numerous avalanches in the past two days- natural releases that ripped to the ground. The thing is that this occurred in places I have never seen slide. We had an "up slope" here that wind loaded differently than the norm, wind loading the south and westerly aspects as well as the usual aspects....yes- it is all wind loaded.

not trying to discourage anyone- just want to give you the information so you can make an educated decision and watch out for abnormal wind loading patterns.

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm

I agree, I have never seen snow where I saw it today. Princeton was even covered. We ended up getting within 2 miles of the TH and walked about 3.5 miles according to my TOPO software. We lost the trail and will come back when it is a little better.

Postby brett.t.burch » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Has anybody been on Shavano recently? I'm hoping to head up in a couple weeks and wondered if things has consolidated or improved. I know the Angel has a narrow window, but I'm hoping to ski it if it's in. Will keep reading on CAIC but any first-hand accounts are appreciated.

Postby mountainmicah83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:56 am

2 Groups skied the angel yesterdsay from the summit. I would say it is in. I will be posting a TR today or tomorrow for our trip but we took the ridge route and not the angel.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby hberry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 am

Hoping that the snow stays in until this weekend - maybe the cloud cover and potential snow over the next few nights will keep the snow from melting

Postby Don Eberl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Would anyone want to do the Angel this Saturday 4/24. I would be looking for a partner if anyone would like to go. I would not be on skis

Please pm me or reply if interested.
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett