Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Shavano this week

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Shavano this week

Postby ap snow » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Anyone want to give Shavano a go tomorrow or Thursday? Let me know.

Re: Shavano this week

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm

I will climb it with you tomorrow. Let me know early enough to get some snowshoes

Postby rolo tomassi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Just an FYI-

the snowpackin southern chaffee county is really "weird" right now. On monarch pass there were numerous avalanches in the past two days- natural releases that ripped to the ground. The thing is that this occurred in places I have never seen slide. We had an "up slope" here that wind loaded differently than the norm, wind loading the south and westerly aspects as well as the usual aspects....yes- it is all wind loaded.

not trying to discourage anyone- just want to give you the information so you can make an educated decision and watch out for abnormal wind loading patterns.

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 pm

I agree, I have never seen snow where I saw it today. Princeton was even covered. We ended up getting within 2 miles of the TH and walked about 3.5 miles according to my TOPO software. We lost the trail and will come back when it is a little better.

Postby brett.t.burch » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Has anybody been on Shavano recently? I'm hoping to head up in a couple weeks and wondered if things has consolidated or improved. I know the Angel has a narrow window, but I'm hoping to ski it if it's in. Will keep reading on CAIC but any first-hand accounts are appreciated.

Postby mountainmicah83 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 am

2 Groups skied the angel yesterdsay from the summit. I would say it is in. I will be posting a TR today or tomorrow for our trip but we took the ridge route and not the angel.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby hberry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:01 am

Hoping that the snow stays in until this weekend - maybe the cloud cover and potential snow over the next few nights will keep the snow from melting

Postby Don Eberl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:54 pm

Would anyone want to do the Angel this Saturday 4/24. I would be looking for a partner if anyone would like to go. I would not be on skis

Please pm me or reply if interested.
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett