Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski the San Juans

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Ski the San Juans

Postby PKelley » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:13 pm

I have climbed North Pole Peak. It is surrounded by private land, and I am lucky enough to know some folks who own a lot of land down there. Their great grandparents bought 1800 acres in 1895 for $2 an acre. Their ranch backs right up to that peak. Its an amazing place. It would be a sick ski.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby ryguy79 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:13 pm

+1 for loving the San Juans.

Me playing in the pow at Silverton last friday...

Postby bckcntryskr » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 pm

+1 on Silverton last Friday. Love the snow pack in the San jauns this year...
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:54 am

bckcntryskr wrote:+1 on Silverton last Friday. Love the snow pack in the San jauns this year...

Must have been a different pack than I have been on. Love it like a really hot ex-wife.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby ktimm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:36 am

I've climbed to the base of North pole. I'm not sure about ski descents. I accessed it from Box Factory park area and it's a bush whack and up a pretty steep rib. I think the peak itself is low tech the last few hundred feet. I know 13134 (S9) and some of the s peaks are skied on that side.

Postby bckcntryskr » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:44 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:Must have been a different pack than I have been on. Love it like a really hot ex-wife.

Ah yes, I should have been more specific about the depth. Thoug it was fairly stable last week, unlike that really hot ex-wife. :P
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Previous