Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski the San Juans

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski the San Juans

Postby skiwall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:10 am

Ok, kids... I just came back from spending a weekend in the Ridgeway area, and I'm ready to move. :D

I can't believe some of the sweet lines! There was a really beautiful peak just down from Sneffels that one of the locals called "North Pole Peak". Does that sound right? Has anybody here skied it? Does anybody here want to ski it?

How am I suppose to get any work done today when my head is full of big, beautiful mountains???
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Re: Ski the San Juans

Postby BIO_KNEE » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:54 am

skiwall wrote:How am I suppose to get any work done today when my head is full of big, beautiful mountains???

You won't. But that's ok, sometimes the memories of the mountains, or the thought of new memories to be made are just to much to be productive.
It happens to all of us at some point.
:mrgreen:
"It is whom the meal is shared with, not what is eaten that makes it special." - Epicurus

Postby George James » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 am

Bio Knee wrote:You won't.

Yep. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not for quite awhile!

Maybe you'll spend ALL your time dreaming about these things, pouring over trip reports and blogs until the next opportunity to get out there yourself. Heck, maybe you'll even join some sort of outdoor club and quickly become a contributing member...

When are we moving?
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby skiwall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:23 am

George James wrote:When are we moving?

Do you have a truck? Wait, I don't need a truck to move stuff. I'll sell it all and buy my own truck with a camper. I can live in parking lots and shower at the hot springs. :D

(I'm only partially kidding...)

Postby BIO_KNEE » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:31 am

skiwall wrote:
George James wrote:When are we moving?

Do you have a truck? Wait, I don't need a truck to move stuff. I'll sell it all and buy my own truck with a camper. I can live in parking lots and shower at the hot springs. :D

(I'm only partially kidding...)

Spoken like a true mountain junky! Welcome to the team!
"It is whom the meal is shared with, not what is eaten that makes it special." - Epicurus

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:30 am

Haven't been to any myself, but there are actually quite a few huts on that side of the Sneffels Range and yes, people ski those lines. Maybe one of these days I can get to do a hut trip down there myself.

Link to the huts... now you really aren't going to get any work done!! (sorry)

http://sanjuanhuts.com/

The good stuff...
http://sanjuanhuts.com/ski_huts/photos/index.html
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:21 pm

I just got back from staying at a friend's place on Last Dollar Rd. It is a 2 mile ski in and out during winter. Off the grid with views of the Sneffels Range and great skiing right out the back door. Save your money though. It still ain't cheap down there and I think Ralph Lauren owns everything from my friend's place to Ridgeway.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby DaveLanders » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:39 pm

skiwall wrote:Ok, kids... I just came back from spending a weekend in the Ridgeway area, and I'm ready to move. :D

I can't believe some of the sweet lines! There was a really beautiful peak just down from Sneffels that one of the locals called "North Pole Peak". Does that sound right? Has anybody here skied it? Does anybody here want to ski it?

How am I suppose to get any work done today when my head is full of big, beautiful mountains???

There is a North Pole Peak (12208') at the northwest corner of the Sneffels Range. I think it's prominent from some
places on Colorado 62 near Dallas Divide. I'm not a skier, so I can't help you with that part.

Postby BAUMGARA » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:40 pm

skiwall wrote:Ok, kids... I just came back from spending a weekend in the Ridgeway area, and I'm ready to move. :D

Ha, I just got back from Alta and wanna go there.

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:33 pm

BAUMGARA wrote:

Ha, I just got back from Alta and wanna go there.

Same here, LCC was incredible over the weekend

Postby skiwall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:27 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Same here, LCC was incredible over the weekend

Yeah... I heard that. Maybe we can trade places for a bit? :)

Postby MtHurd » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Just got back from Purgatory. Lots of nice powder. Here is the view!!!

Next