Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tele gear questions

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Tele gear questions

Postby Alpine » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:44 pm

I could have posted this in the Gear section, but it fits either place I suppose. I am not much of a skier these days as it is just too expensive for my blood - I quite skiing when I broke the sole on my last set of boots. Anywho, I hit the jackpot last summer when my neighbor sold me an ice axe, a pair of crampons, a pair of tele boots and two pair of tele skis and bindings, all for 20 bucks. Someday I may like to get back into some skiing, and I have always wanted to try tele anyway just for the experience.

I would like to know what I have - did I get beginner gear, super-heavy duty ski-all-14ers stuff, or somewhere in between? Cruiser gear, all-mountain, bumps, BC-only or just what?

Boots: Scarpa 3 buckle with a strap around the top and some sort of small adjuster on the back, with Raichle liners. Almost worn past usefulness, but maybe have a few turns left in them for a cheapskate like me.

Skiis #1:
Fischer "AllTrax 84 Big Stix Air Carbon" in length 186
Rainey Designs cable binding
Voile plate underneath the bindings, about 1 inch thick
Some sort of Voile adjuster thingy that is shaped like a chapstick tube and apparently puts adjustable pressure on the front of the Rainey binding

Skiis #2:
Dynastar "4x4 BIG" in length 188
Same Rainey cable bindings as on the Fischers
Voile late underneath the Raineys but only maybe 1/4 inch thick
no adjuster

I figured someone here would know something about these. Mostly my take on gear is this: develop your skills until you can make any gear work for any situation if needed. I got that from Chouinard's Ice Climbing book years ago and like the idea behind it. But I also know that understanding what your gear was designed for is important too.

Thanks,
Jim
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Re: Tele gear questions

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 am

Sounds like you got a steal. You should go ride them.
I think the 4x4 Big is a powder ski. The other may be as well, hard to say without looking at them. Do you have pictures?
The Voille chapstick tube is a release system. I used to use them, but don't anymore. If they are too loose you might pop out when you don't want to.
It's hard to say much about the Rainey binding unless you know how old they are. From the other stuff, I'd guess around 10 years. I think they might even still make them, but I don't know anyone who uses them.
I've heard people say that plastic boots lose their rigidity over time. I don't know if that is true or not, or it matters much for a beginner.
The harder you make it to learn, the better you'll be if you ever get modern equipment.
You'll probably need some climbing skins or a lift ticket. If you aren't an excellent skier, you will probably want to learn at a ski area.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby jrsummit » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:14 am

I agree with what cheeseburglar wrote. You definitely got a steal. Ski those things!

What color are the scarpas? If they are the blue ones (T2), they are my favorite tele boots of all time. Mine have hundreds and hundreds of days on them and are completely trashed, but I still use them every so often.

From my own personal experience...I would recommend learning at a resort and taking a lesson or clinic. I never did that and have some horrible habits. Something like this would be good http://www.skiloveland.com/skischool/3_class_pass.aspx, as far as I know telemark lessons count with this deal.

Also if you can wade through the b.s, this site has tons of good info and knowledgeable people. http://www.telemarktips.com,

Postby Alpine » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for the replies and the info. Anyone else have any additional info?

Jr: The Scarpas are black - does that tell you anything?
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Postby colorado yooper » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:12 am

The boot sound like 2000 era T3's I still ski mine and there are holes in the sides! Plenty of control still. Get some new liners though... The bindings: A friend of mine had some old Rainey's and could still blow by us in the bumps she rocked!
It's not so much the gear as long as it's solid. Go find a easy hill and play around for a morning. :D
Enjoy the bargins!
To the High Crags!