Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

cheap lodging Summit County

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: cheap lodging Summit County

Postby Steve Gio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Stayed at snowshoe before for $80. They have been all booked as well and they are $115. Super 8 is $120. I think I have searched as much as possible. You notice on summit.net that saturdays are NA. I know there are plenty of mid week deals but I get crap for vacation time so out of luck there. Super 8 is kind of a pit for $120 per night.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Postby paul109876 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:02 pm

I stayed at a Super 8 right at the Dillon, Silverthorne exit off of 70. I was pleased and it was cheap. I stayed at the Super 8 in Georgetown for a couple of days last year and it smelt like mildew.....
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:24 pm

I've stayed at that Super 8 in Leadville. It's tolerable for one night, wouldn't want to stay much longer than that tho. If you really want to be near Breck or Vail that's pretty far to go to save $20 or whatever.

If it's a not a weekend in ski season, you can often get the Frisco Holiday Inn on Priceline for $40-50. Decent place although getting a bit shabby, and don't count on the pool/hot tub/sauna to all be working. They're supposed to be remodeling it soon but I've been hearing that for tha past couple of years now.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby swoodyut » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:58 pm

The Luxury Inn in Silverthorne is no-frills but clean. Free cold breakfast in the morning. Microwave and mini fridge. Their website makes it look like they're sold out for this weekend, but I bet if you call they might have some cancellations and willing to do a deal. Here's the matrix of their published rates:

http://www.luxuryinnsuites.com/rates.htm

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks swoodyut, I did call them and they are all booked up. I just called again and no cancellations. They said they are booked every weekend thru March. Called just about everyplace I think. Usually I have no problems getting $80 a night (g or t) at this time of year. I think this year there have been a lot of sold out weekends. Think we are just gonna day trip tomorrow and maybe snowshoe near Mt. Evans Sunday or something.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Steve

Postby swoodyut » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Last suggestion - try vrbo.com or homeaway.com too. I’ve gotten some screaming deals for larger (6+) groups and imagine you could do the same with a smaller group. My strategy is to search by properties that still have openings, determine my max budget, and then start at the top and make low-ball offers, although I try not to reach too far – don’t need to waste people’s time. I can typically keep the cost down to $40-50 per person / night. Also, condos/homes always have a kitchen, and typically ample hangout room, both of which are major bonuses to cut down on food/entertainment expense over a hotel room.

For example, I got a large, gorgeous, historic, pet-friendly, private outdoor hot tub, parking included, private home in downtown Breckenridge for the last ski weekend in April ’09. It slept 12 (we only had 6) and I got it for $600 all in for the weekend.

I get turned down a lot, often get zero response whatsoever, but there’s almost always a taker or two, someone willing to work with you. Typically, individual owners are much more flexible – the one’s run by property management groups tend to stick pretty religiously to their minimum # of nights (the second-most common reason I get turned down, after price).

Don’t give up. Good luck.

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Well I didn't give up and just booked the Dillon Inn. More than I wanted to spend but we will get a day of xc and a day of snowboarding in back top back at least. I know I always see deals for larger condos and stuff but its just my wife and I so we try not to spend too much. Its just a place to sleep after playing and we always bring food instead of eating out.

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions.

Steve

Previous