Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

cheap lodging Summit County

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

cheap lodging Summit County

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:06 am

Yeah not really a 14ers question. Sorry... Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for cheap lodging in/near summit county. ($100 or less, please don't laugh). Just looking for Saturday night.

Also I was wondering about Leadville as their Super 8 is only $69. Our plan was to xc at Breckenridge Saturday and then snowboard Breck on Sunday. This year has been brutal on lodgining deals for me. Was thinking maybe we could xc at Breck then head to Leadvile for the night and hit Vail on Sunday instead. Just not sure if it is too much moving around. How long does it take to get to Vail from Leadville. Also would anyone reccommend snowshoeing near leadville someplace instead of xc at Breck. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks folks,

Steve

Re: cheap lodging Summit County

Postby traderaaron » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 am

If you are open to staying outside of Summit County there's a newer hotel in Fairplay you might check out, http://www.riversidefairplay.com/. No idea if you can get a room under $100 though.

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 am

So I am kinda leaning toward Leadville/Vail but looking for a reccommendation for snowshoeing in the area. Only been thru Leadville once and camped out next to turquoise Lake one night post season after hinking Mt. Elbert. How accessible is the road there in a 2wd car?

Postby Kovar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:15 am

Another Super 8 option is in Georgetown. That has been my go to accomadations the last two times I was out that way. Not anywhere close to Hilton luxury, but I've booked for under $70/night both times. Bout an hour to Breck from G'town.

Postby mountainmicah83 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

Leadville and Salida both have Hostels for very good prices.

Snowshoeing near leadville. Go to the fish hatchery and there are tons of trails around there in the Mt. Massive wilderness. Otherwise, pick any sawatch 14er pretty much and get as close as you can to the TH and you will eventually be stopped by snow which you could snowshoe in.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby cwm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:31 am

The Mineral Belt Trail at Leadville would be more interesting than anything you might find at Vail. It starts and ends in the town and has several locations that you can stop or start from on the trail. www.mineralbelttrail.com.

Also the road that goes up to the Iowa Gulch trail head for Mount Sherman might be interesting.

The Tennessee Pass area near Ski Cooper should also be good. The areas near Turquoise Lake could be good for snowshoeing. I think there are cross country trails near the Colorado Mountain College of the west side of Leadville.

There is a Forest Service office on Highway 24 a little bit west of where Harrison Avenue (the main downtown street) turns west. I have found them helpful in recommending places around Leadville.

Vail is going to be more expensive for anything and even parking is a hassle, if you can find any free parking.

Postby altidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:57 am

traderaaron wrote:If you are open to staying outside of Summit County there's a newer hotel in Fairplay you might check out, http://www.riversidefairplay.com/. No idea if you can get a room under $100 though.

I stayed there 2/13/10, two queen beds on special for $80.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana

Postby weschun » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 pm

+1 to the Riverside. I stayed ther last Feb. Much nicer than the Super8 in Leadville.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Alpine Inn in Frisco is usually pretty reasonable, also there is a Super 8 and a LaQuinta in Dillon. Not sure about $100/night, but maybe close?

Leadville hostel would be a good idea, they are great people and always have great recommendations for hikes and such.

Leadville to Vail takes about an hour, do you have a pass? You mentioned Breck and Vail so maybe you have a Colorado Pass? If so, maybe opt for Beaver Creek instead of Vail and get free parking from the shuttle lot. If you don't have a pass consider Ski Cooper at Tennessee Pass as they have much lower daily rates.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Yes I do have a colorado pass. Alpine Inn is where we usually get good deals but they have been booked every weekend. I want to get a day of snowboarding in as well as a day of cross country or snowshoeing.

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Try the Snowshoe Motel in downtown Frisco. That's been my go to since I've been going up to Summit. I've been able to get rooms there for $59night mid-season. Not a bad place to rest up for a night.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby jrsummit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:34 am

Why stay in Leadville? Call around Summit and there are some awesome last minute deals. This site has a few http://summitnet.com/lodging/lastminute.cfm. Maybe stay at the Super 8 in Dillon, $65, XC in Silverthorne $0, Then ski any of the fine resorts around you based on the snow report, hopefully it snows this weekend. I don't think i would want to do all the driving you are planning to do if you stay in Leadville or Fairplay, it takes too much time away from your fun activities. Call the Vail resorts central res line, if I recall correctly...they have a $99 deal going all year long.

Next