Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT/Randonee Boot Fit

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

AT/Randonee Boot Fit

Postby centrifuge » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 am

*Disclaimer - I know there is a somewhat similar thread on the pros and cons of using these or alpine boots for touring but I feel like this is a somewhat seperate topic and dont want to highjack that thread with off topic questions*

I have been looking for several weeks now at AT boots, but have very wide feet (double E width in running shoes). I have been consistently pointed at the Dynafit Zzero series and the Scarpa Skookum's. I tried some on but they still felt a little bit tight on the width, tolerable but tight. Going up a half size above my actual size resolves the width issue, but then I worry about what happens when the liners pack out over time. So here is my question for people with lots of experience buying this type of boot and may have had fitting issues;

If they are a little bit too tight on the width, does thermal molding of the liner + packing out take care of that?

Is it better to go up a half size but then on shell fit end up with 2.5 fingers too big and risk them loosening up as they pack out over time?

finally, does anyone else have other suggestions for lightweight and wide boots that I might be able to look at?
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Re: AT/Randonee Boot Fit

Postby Bean » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:32 am

A boot with a 2.5 finger shell fit is going to ski terribly. Consider the BD Factor, it has a wider last than most. Depending on the boot and your foot, a good boot fitter should be able to make something work for you. I've never been to Larry's in Boulder but hear great things, and Lee Kinney at The Custom Foot in Denver does great work too. Talk to one (or both) of them and go from there. Also consider Intuition liners. If the shell is too narrow it'll still need to be worked on, but they really are amazing.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15 pm

I went to Larry's in Boulder, and had a decent experience. As no boot company makes my size (22 or 5.5W/3.5M), he was only able to help me so much with my big plastic mountaineering boots. But I have heard good things from others that have used his services. While I was there getting custom insoles, he was working on grinding out the inside of some other boots. So I would imagine that would help widen the boots that 'almost' fit you. Boots that don't fit length wise, ski terribly, I have done it for years :cry:
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby centrifuge » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 pm

thanks guys, its frustrating because I know when I go into the shops, part of what they are telling me is based on how much money I will end up spending, and with odd sized feet you are kind of at their mercy. I'll definitely give those guys a call and see what they think and check out the Factors at good 'ole rei today. I am on vacation this week but stuck in the city until Saturday so its a good way to spend my time... looking at gear :D
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby benners » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:07 pm

If I were you I'd head to Bent Gate Mountaineering in Golden and talk to John, he's been fitting AT boots to people's feet for a long time and is an expert at getting the right boot to fit your foot, I had an awesome experience working with him. From what I know Scarpa AT boots accommodate wider feet than most others, and yes the heat molding can free up space to some extent. Don't go with a larger shell because the liner will pack out eventually, it's better to try and get the correct size shell and have it custom fitted to your foot. Bent Gate is close to getting a device that can punch out small areas on boot shells specifically for width problems such as the one you've got, so there's another reason to head over there.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:17 pm

+1 for Larry!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby cosmic_zap » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:41 am

Hi All, I am currently in the market for a wide lasted AT boot as well, and I will definitely check out many models. I just wanted to share a quick tip that may be helpful to anyone who is willing to take matters into their own hands (or feet) to ensure their comfort. I climbed Rainier last spring and I picked up a pair of Scarpa Invernos (used from Whittaker Mountaineering). Even with the addition of Intuition Denali liners they were too narrow, so I broke out the heat gun and GENTLY heated the toe box and using just the head of a ball peen hammer, I pushed out the sides of the toe box from the inside. It took me no more than 30 minutes, but after the results I am sold on making my own mods IF NEEDED. Sure it voids warranties, but those are usually gone after the first use anyway. Think of how these boots are made and what custom boot fitters do to modify them, it's all heat baby.

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:50 am

I've got a super wide foot as well. I did some shopping while living in Portland and was fit to a size 28.5 Scarpa Spirit 4. I took the boot out on Quandry and was in a devistating amount of pain from the narrower portion of the boot while skiing, I've never had my feet feel so cramped and tight even in climbing shoes that were 2 sizes too small. I've since ordered a size 29 from Sierra Trading Post and hope that the next size shell will work a bit better.

I learned to ski at the resort in a boot that was 1.5 sizes too large for my foot. While I'm sure many will argue with this I prefer to be able to latch the boot down tighter as opposed to getting the "appropriate size" and barely being able to snap the buckles. But then again, I'm not skiing all that aggressively in the backcountry, I'm far more interested in the touring.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Snowgirl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:15 pm

davey_rocket wrote: I've since ordered a size 29 from Sierra Trading Post and hope that the next size shell will work a bit better.

Be careful-depending on the boot maker the shells may not change on the half-size. At least with my Garmont tele boots (it might be different for AT boots) the shell size only changes on the half size, on the whole sizes they simply add a thicker, different liner to add volume. Which is why I got devastatingly tight boots (because I wanted to go down to a new shell, not a new liner), which have now packed out nicely. That is no reason to suffer, for sure, and I loved the fact that Alpenglow (in Golden) took the time to really fit my foot, mold my liner, and explain my options. Having really good fitting boots is SUCH a game-changer. Especially in the backcountry, and I think in particular it really upped my game on teles.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby GravityPilot » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:48 pm

A 28.5 and 29 are the same shell size in Scarpa, just a different liner. I have both sizes in multiple models and they are all stamped the same.

Postby schrund » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:58 pm

I've been using Lee for the last decade, he's another good boot fitter in Denver:

Lee Kinney
The Custom Foot
2835 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80113
www.thecustomfoot.com
(303) 761-4002
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:52 pm

GravityPilot wrote:A 28.5 and 29 are the same shell size in Scarpa, just a different liner. I have both sizes in multiple models and they are all stamped the same.

Crap! Oh well, at least I got them at STP and can take advantage of their awesome return policy.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Next