Touring in Alpine Boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
drex27
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Touring in Alpine Boots

Post by drex27 »

I know several folks who tour a lot with alpine boots (because they are anal ex-ski racers) and have few issues on the up.
Dang, Caleb! You get nasty when your stuck indoors!
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

drex27 wrote:
I know several folks who tour a lot with alpine boots (because they are anal ex-ski racers) and have few issues on the up.
Dang, Caleb! You get nasty when your stuck indoors!
Hahaha. True words. Poor form from me. I should put a disclaimer at the end of all of my posts until my back unbreaks itselfs. I may or may not have had you in mind when I posted the above comment. :) I have noticed my internet usage has increased and patience has declined since the accident. Looks like I will be back after it sooner than expected though. So call me man.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tripvera
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tripvera »

I toured for a number of years in stiff alpine boots. They were reasonably comfortable touring, but when having to scramble over rocks or do an approach, it was difficult. Walk mode in touring boots are hard to beat, and they are stiff enough these days that I would never consider using alpine boots again.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

Giving life to an almost 7-year-old thread....

I got some very good information from this thread but I'm wondering is it worth it to uphill ski (either backcountry or at a resort) with just skins on skis non-AT or telemark bindings? Before I drop a few hundred bucks on new bindings or even boots for that matter, I want to make sure it is something I'm truly interested in.

It was really frustrating watching a guy skin up and then ski down Princeton in like 10 min when we still had an hour left (mostly post holing) left to go until the car. Uphill skiing at the resorts for a workout sounds like a fun challenge too.
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Are you asking if you should try skinning uphill in regular alpine boots and regular alpine bindings?

If so...do NOT TRY.

kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

SkaredShtles wrote:Are you asking if you should try skinning uphill in regular alpine boots and regular alpine bindings?

If so...do NOT TRY.

I was only asking because I don't have an AT set up. I understand it was probably a no-brainer question but personally I don't know anyone who does any touring.

Do resorts rent AT gear?
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Well, if you had AT bindings that accept alpine ski boots and skins for the skis, then you could do it, else no.

No AT binding, no uphill
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Well, if you had AT bindings that accept alpine ski boots and skins for the skis, then you could do it, else no.

No AT binding, no uphill
Wait... we could suggest Alpine Trekkers to them.

Naw - that would just be mean.

:mrgreen:
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

SkaredShtles wrote:Wait... we could suggest Alpine Trekkers to them.

I have a friend who still stubbornly refuses to buy touring gear. Plug boots and trekkers are his go to. It's like some hard-man-point-of-pride with him - it's freak'n unbelievable.

kwit24, do your self a favor and buy a used set of touring bindings. You're body will thank you in the long run......
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mtnfiend wrote:<snip>
I have a friend who still stubbornly refuses to buy touring gear. Plug boots and trekkers are his go to. It's like some hard-man-point-of-pride with him - it's freak'n unbelievable.
If he's strong enough to pull it off (and a glutton for that kind of uphill punishment) I can see at least one reason he might do it - despite all the advancements... AT boots *still* suck in comparison to a pair of badass "real" alpine boots.

YMMV.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

mtnfiend wrote: I have a friend who still stubbornly refuses to buy touring gear. Plug boots and trekkers are his go to. It's like some hard-man-point-of-pride with him - it's freak'n unbelievable.
That's retarded. If your going to do it more than a couple of days a year, your crazy not to get the right gear
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
mbourget
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mbourget »

SkaredShtles wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:Well, if you had AT bindings that accept alpine ski boots and skins for the skis, then you could do it, else no.

No AT binding, no uphill
Wait... we could suggest Alpine Trekkers to them.

I have some Trekkers sitting around in a box just waiting for this type of opportunity. I'm happy to give them away.
Those scientists better check their hypotenuses.