Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tele skis

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Tele skis

Postby BIO_KNEE » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 am

So I was thinking of trying out tele skiing this season and was wondering if anyone knows of a good starter package. I haven’t been on a pair of skis since I was 4 years old and don't honestly know that much about what to look for. I appreciate any input. Oh ya I am not looking to break the bank on this one. Thanks!

Re: Tele skis

Postby JohnP » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 am

Take a look on Craigslist. You can probably find something a few years old with a G3 Targa binding in the $150-200 range.

Postby schrund » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 am

The Bent Gate in Golden is having it's Ski Swap all this week, and tonight is their Ski Season Kick-Off Party. I'm in a similar boat looking to upgrade my set-ip for this season and am headed over there to see what they have to offer. See:

http://www.bentgate.com/kickoff.html

=D>
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 am

Craigslist is good place to start.. Bent Gate in Golden too. You may want to try some of the shops up in the hills right now. A lot of last years demo stuff laying around.. I found a great pair of K2 work stinx with Rottefella bindings used for $200 a couple of years ago.. Telemarkski.com from the Alpineer in Crested Butte is shut down for now which is a bummer cause you could find some good deals there.

Dont skimp on tele boots though.. Get a good pair.. It makes a world of difference.. Scarpa or Crispi maybe..

Seeing that you haven't been on skis since you were 4, I would recommend a few lessons at ABasin Tele school.. You will benefit tremendously.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby thebeave7 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 am

Not Tele, but I'm looking to get rid of my older randonee rig. It's a set of Volkl 747(177cm) with Diamir Titanal 3 bindings. It's seen some use, but is still in good shape. Only asking $175 for the set. I was just about to post this to the "gear" forum, but figured I'd throw it out here first.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby Kojones » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:52 am

My recommendation is to rent a couple times before buying. Make sure you like it. I didn't like it one bit when I first tried it, but since that first try, I haven't been alpine skiing in 9 years - pinhead for life. So stick with it.

For buying a pair... you can put a tele binding on just about any ski. I swear by K2 tele skis, and not only because they have the hole in the tip. Stop by SNIAGRAB and get a good deal on a pair (which is what I did for my last 2 pairs). I then threw the top-of-the-line G3 bindings on my skis with the associated climbing wires and leashes (might as well spend the extra $20 on climbing wires now and have them put on with the bindings). Scarpa boots are awesome. Comfortable and they break in easily. You can do it with most tele boots, but I have run up stairs and across parking lots with my Scarpa's on and latched tight, and which it isn't like wearing running shoes, it feels like it compared to alpine boots.

Good luck and have fun on your new tele's!

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby Bean » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:59 am

What size foot do you have? I've got some old skis+skins plus a pair of t2x's in decent shape I'd let go of pretty cheap.

And don't bother with sniagrab, prices are never as high as they are during sniagrab.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby BIO_KNEE » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:05 am

I wear a 12.5, and I am 6'2". It kinda makes it hard to find used boots, most of the ones that I find are way to small. :(

Thanks to everyone for the input! :D

Postby Bean » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:40 am

BIO_KNEE wrote:I wear a 12.5, and I am 6'2". It kinda makes it hard to find used boots, most of the ones that I find are way to small. :(

Thanks to everyone for the input! :D

PM sent
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com