Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski reccomendation ?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski reccomendation ?

Postby Prairie Native » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:48 am

I know absolutly nothing about skis. And I would like to spend very little money on them. This December im doing a few peaks with long aproaches and would like to skin up to where im camping....I always get passed by people skinning up. I would like to know what kind of ski and binding would allow me to do this. Ive seen skis on here for really cheap and could give a crap less if they are 20 years old, just as long as I could get some flotation and put skins on them, and then stumble down the access roads on them. I have plastic mountaineering boots so the binding would have to be compatible with them.....I probably am totally off base with all of this.....thanks all!
Something witty.

Re: Ski reccomendation ?

Postby BaronVonBergschrund » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

PM me, I likely have a good solution for you.
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:11 pm

I saw a guy skiing at Abasin one day with his kid. He had on an AT set up with Mountaineering boots. I watched him ski, that set up was not impressive but it was functional so I think that your goal is very reasonable.

I have done cross country/nordic at Beaver Creek where the XC area is at the top of a lift. I skied used to ski down the easiest blue instead of downloading. No edges on my skis. Again, not the best rig but I had a hell of a fun time!

I've always wanted to try taking a run in antique wooden skis with my leather hiking boots strapped in just to see what it is like.

Postby GravityPilot » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:19 pm

I have an old pair of Karhu Outbounds mounted with a Silveretta 404. Scary to ski when you're in ice boots, but they work, I leave the skins on most of the time. Something scaled would be better, shorter as well, mine are 181.

Postby Ken Gross » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:25 pm

To my knowledge the only commonly available AT bindings that are compatible with Plastic Mountaineering boots are the Silvretta 400, 404, 500, and Easy Go. Check out Lou's binding museum at http://www.wildsnow.com for details. I used to have a pair of TUAs with 404s on them and they worked great. Didn't ski too terribly (with AT boots!) either. These bindings have a wire toe bail instead if more traditional toe jaws... so they will accept most boots. But of course they have no release at the toe either.

If they will be strictly an approach tool they should work OK. 404s are somewhat vintage now so I don't know that I would ski much downhill on them for the sake of your knees! I think the 500 Easy-Go is still being produced, it also lacks toe release but it has a reasonable heel release and would be a better choice if you think you'll want to ever ski and not just approach. At that point the mountaineering boots will be a liability however.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby Prairie Native » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:38 pm

If it helps my boots are asolo 8000s
Something witty.

Postby TomPierce » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:41 pm

I can't comment on the "new" gear, I still use Ramer bindings (which release at the heal and toe, although not superbly, fwiw...). But I did Denali and lots of local stuff on AT skis and Asolo 8000's (at the time called the Asolo Expedition). Still use the set up occasionally. Skiing is do-able but it's probably close to skiing in high top basketball shoes. The shells on the 8000's are already thin to enhance flexibility in cold temps, and they stop not far above the ankle bone. Pretty loosey goosey to me, but for access use AT's and climbing boots are a superb combo IMO. Probably not a bad idea to practice first, however, and get used to skiing down with skins on if the trail is narrow, or steep, or if you have a big pack on, or it's dark, or....you get the idea :wink: . Good luck.
-Tom

Postby BaronVonBergschrund » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:57 pm

TomPierce wrote:I can't comment on the "new" gear, I still use Ramer bindings (which release at the heal and toe, although not superbly, fwiw...). But I did Denali and lots of local stuff on AT skis and Asolo 8000's (at the time called the Asolo Expedition). Still use the set up occasionally. Skiing is do-able but it's probably close to skiing in high top basketball shoes. The shells on the 8000's are already thin to enhance flexibility in cold temps, and they stop not far above the ankle bone. Pretty loosey goosey to me, but for access use AT's and climbing boots are a superb combo IMO. Probably not a bad idea to practice first, however, and get used to skiing down with skins on if the trail is narrow, or steep, or if you have a big pack on, or it's dark, or....you get the idea :wink: . Good luck.
-Tom

I have a short ski setup with these bindings: http://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry-ski-museum/fritschi-ft88/fritschi-ft88-binding.html

They work with mountaineering boots due to the wire toe loop. I agree with what Tom has to say - skiing downhill isn't ideal in mountaineering boots but can be done. A pair of these set up with some short skis and skins make for a decent approach/descent option, but I've hiked down a lot of terrain that was just impossible to ski in leather mountaineering boots with this setup. At least you'll save your knees/ankles as these are releasable and release pretty well.
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners