Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT boots and layers

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

AT boots and layers

Postby JDgreen » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:36 pm

I posted for advice awhile back on an AT gear setup. Now that I have had a chance to use it, everything is working out well but I have a question concerning layers and my boots. I love my boots but when I wear long ski socks over a heavy base layer I got a bruised spot on my right shin where I had a wrinkle caused by the bunching of the layers. Anyone wear a shorty runner sock with your base layers in AT boots or what combos do you prefer that work well?

ps: I ended up with a different setup than what I had first planned but am happy with it. Maybe a photo is in order?
The world is a changin' and the West is only as wild as we can make it!

Re: AT boots and layers

Postby Ken Gross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:41 pm

I dont like anything under my socks, or between my socks and the boot. So I just pull up my base layer to keep it out of the way.

I have also just cut the base layer bottoms a little below the knees/top of my boots.

HTH
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby skiwall » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:03 pm

I've done the little shorty socks before under a ski sock to keep my feet warm when my feet in particular get cold.

If I ever stick my long underwear into my boots, I make sure it goes on the outside of my socks because it won't wrinkle nearly as bad (if at all) that way. I've been doing that all season, and it's been totally fine.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby USAKeller » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:26 pm

Ken Gross wrote:I dont like anything under my socks, or between my socks and the boot. So I just pull up my base layer to keep it out of the way.

+1. I also don't like anything between my boots and socks so I just pull my base layer up to just below my knee.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby thebeave7 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:00 pm

I'm with Caroline and Ken, I roll my long underwear up so it comes just to the top of my boot. I have big calves(as with many asians), so don't like the added pressure in the upper part of my boots. While I've never tried it I'd imagine a running crew sock would be a little weird. Since the layers won't be truly continuous from the ankle up the leg you could get uneven pressure points, though I guess not much different than having long underwear over a sock(just less volume). The nice thing about full length ski socks is they are skin tight so fewer wrinkles and pressure points.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby bckcntryskr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:06 pm

I fold the bottom of my leg base layer to just under my knee. This leaves only my light or mid weight sock in my boot. The only time I have had an issue is with some thicker socks. I have skinned 12 miles in a day with no problems using the light sock. If you feel any hot spots or issues, stop and fix it right away. Duct tape and moleskin are my favorites for foot issues.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby bigmac » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 am

Skiing naked should solve the problem... maybe a down sweater in your pack tho... "just in case"
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

I Immediately regret this decision.

Postby JDgreen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:53 am

bigmac wrote:Skiing naked should solve the problem... maybe a down sweater in your pack tho... "just in case"

Tried that but couldn't afford the sunscreen and going without was just um uh brutal!! :)

I remember in college one time we were skiing at Steamboat riding the "old gondola" and being the heights wuss I am I was terrified in the first place then 2 streakers ski by below on the right side of the cabin and of course everyone 'cept me just had to shift to the right to look, making the cabin start really swaying. :shock:

Thanks, after reading the responses so far, I looked some more at base layers and see you can buy 3/4 length bottoms. My calves are kinda on the big side so looks like might try cutting some of the length of the base or buying some shorter ones.
The world is a changin' and the West is only as wild as we can make it!

Postby Bean » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:45 pm

3/4-length base layers. I use a pair from CW-X and it works great for a moderate amount of warmth and some compression.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Geof3 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Ditto to all the above. Really, you want as little extra material between your lower leg and boot. Makes for less pain, and a better fit overall. 1 pair of socks only for me. Fairly thin. LU pulled down to the top of the boot. Never an issue with warmth or otherwise.
Blue Steel

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:28 pm

bigmac wrote:Skiing naked should solve the problem... maybe a down sweater in your pack tho... "just in case"

Please post your peak plans if you take this tactic.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com