Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cheap Ski Tune

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Cheap Ski Tune

Postby Will » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap ski tune in Denver??

Re: Cheap Ski Tune

Postby ontopoftheworld » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Will wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a cheap ski tune in Denver??

I don't know the answer to your question, but you should look into tuning your own skiis. It's really not that tough, but you just have to buy some equipment up front. I started doing mine a couple of years ago, and it's nice because you can tune them as often as you want.

If you're just looking for a wax, Maison de Ski in Idaho Springs will do a free hot wax, but they don't scrape off the excess wax so your first run or two afterwards will be a little sticky.

Don't know if that was at all helpful, but I tried.

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Loveland Ski Area has a lunchtime $15 tune special, edges and wax.

I'd second the suggestion to do your own waxing. A cheap travel iron, $10 of wax from a ski shop, and a plastic scraper and you can do it yourself pretty simply. Iron on, scrape off, make sure the iron isn't so hot the wax smokes, maybe run a whetstone along the edges to remove nicks, done. Then you just need to get an annual base grind, repair, and binding safety check and you're set.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Magnum420 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Not in Denver but Abasin will do edges and a wax for $10. The wax is one of those roller type machines(not sure what its called) so not as good as an iron wax, but for $10, its not bad.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby FCSquid » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Will wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a cheap ski tune in Denver??

Drive up to Fort Collins, buy me a 12-pack of good beer, and I'll tune your boards as well as most shops.

Edges bevelled, deburred (using diamond stones), bases P-texed, hot waxed and buffed with cork. You get all of this for the low, low price of about 13 bucks ... throw in a Big Mac and fries and I'll shine up the top sides, as well. :wink:
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin