Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT gear links

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: AT gear links

Postby Jcwhite » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:46 pm

A little advice from a big guy who breaks s**t all day everyday, but still likes the functionality of a good product.

Skis: I've owned a couple pairs of kilowatts so far. I love the way to ski, but I have nothing good to say about the craftsmanship or the durability. If you aren't going to ski a ton you probably have nothing to worry about.

Bindings: No offense to Bean, but I think he is giving you the "TGR" version of a binding reccomendation. The dukes and barons don't tour worth a damn. You have to step out of the binding to switch modes, and they only really have one useable lift setting for the heel lifts. I've used naxos, hes right about those, I shatterd the heel piece on the 5th day out. Currently I have three AT setups. One with Free rides, one with free ride plus's and one with dynafit vertical ft 12's. The dynafits tour great and I haven't had any problems what so ever with them coming off when they shouldn't have (i'm 6'4", 205 lbs). Looking around, I've seen most of our ski patrolers around here on the Freeride plus's. So I think you have the right idea there.

All of that being said, if you aren't trying to do the long milage days, it probably doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot...just don't by the naxo's.

Beacon: Whatever you can find me with.

Boots: I've got the factors and love em so far.

BTW Bean: Didn't you used to be a hardcore pinhead?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:52 pm

in general people will have a better say on skis/bindings at tgr than people on 14ers...hence why i lurk over there more often than 14ers.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 pm

Former pinhead, never "hardcore" about it though. If I ever said anything about free the heel free the mind and all that other BS, it was purely in jest. Tele is fun and all but it's just so stupid.

I finally get all soulful and grow a sweet beard and I haven't tele'd in a year and a half now. Wtf!
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Jcwhite » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:00 pm

ajkagy wrote:in general people will have a better say on skis/bindings at tgr than people on 14ers...hence why i lurk over there more often than 14ers.

True, but that wasn't really the main point I was making. Just saying they don't tour well...
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby Jcwhite » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Bean wrote:Former pinhead, never "hardcore" about it though. If I ever said anything about free the heel free the mind and all that other BS, it was purely in jest. Tele is fun and all but it's just so stupid.

I finally get all soulful and grow a sweet beard and I haven't tele'd in a year and a half now. Wtf!

Haha just checking my memory...

Previous