Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

ski mountaineering

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby bckcntryskr » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Focusing back on the comments about skier ability. Even if a person could ski a double diamond at the resort, as mentioned the conditions in the BC are different. Another important consideration for the "new" BC skier is the size and weight of the pack that you will have on your back. Don't underestimate how hard it is to make turns with a "monkeys" worth of gear strapped to your back. A little inbounds practice might go a long ways. Also before venturing out into the BC a 3 day avalanche safety course is highly recommended.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Excellent point!
And I would recommend that if you're going to ski in the bc, always wear a pack at the ski area and don't be afraid to load it up with your bc gear to get used to the weight and how it affects your skiing.

I always ski with a pack.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Carl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:31 am

slopestyle wrote:I could possibly be up for some of those. My normal partner left me over the Summer. I'm also thinking of heading up to Rainier in late May or early June with a possible ski...

Sounds good. I'd like to ski at least one 14er per weekend during the spring. Anything I haven't skied yet would be great. Anything besides Capitol.

Bean wrote:I'll be digging in the snow all day Saturday at Berthoud.

See ya there Bean.

Previous