Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

ski mountaineering

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: ski mountaineering

Postby brett.t.burch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Shane-O-Mac wrote:Do you know anything about Grays? or has anyone done it?

http://skithe14ersforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Shane-O-Mac wrote:Do you know anything about Grays? or has anyone done it?

Do you mean recently or just in general?
Many people ski it, but right now is usually not the best conditions.

Check out the Grays Peak route description (standard route) for some ski photos from a spring descent.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Bean » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Is there anyone in the front range looking to do some ski mountaineering once things stabilize some? I'm looking for a partner or partners. Local stuff only is fine, someone who'd like to ski Rainier in the spring would be even better.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby sstratta » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm looking to ski on rainier this spring. last year i hiked up and skied the lower portion of muir snowfield, but i'd love to make it up to the base camp this year if weather coorporates. where were you thinking of skiing?

Postby Bean » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:28 pm

All the way from the summit, of course. A little research is making me think the fuhrer finger/thumb route is relatively crevasse free, and a fairly quick route to the summit.

Postby sstratta » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:35 am

that looks like a good route, but you would have to catch it when the snow is just right in the chute since it is so steep. you might've seen this site already, but here's the link:
http://www.skimountaineer.com/CascadeSki/CascadeSki.php?name=Rainier

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:05 pm

It looks like that route tops out at 45 degrees with most of it being less than 40. That's not all that steep, so unless it rains (unlikely in the spring that high), the ski should be pretty straightforward and easy. Hopefully they'll get tons more of the PNW's trademark wet heavy glop to bury any instabilities that are lingering.

Postby Carl » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Bean wrote:Is there anyone in the front range looking to do some ski mountaineering once things stabilize some? I'm looking for a partner or partners. Local stuff only is fine, someone who'd like to ski Rainier in the spring would be even better.

I only have a couple regular partners so depending on our schedules in the spring i'm often looking for others. Some of the 14ers on my tentative list for this season are North Maroon, Holy Cross, Longs, Crestone Peak, and maybe Pyramid and Mt. Wilson. Keep me in mind a few months from now if you're looking to get out.

I would like to do Rainier (climb or ski) but I probably won't be ready this season unless I start working on my glacier travel skills asap.

That is a neat site.

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:16 pm

I just saw a point forecast for about 9,000' on Rainier.

Today: Snow. High near 32. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 15 and 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 31. Windy, with a west southwest wind between 32 and 40 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 31 to 37 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 31. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 25 and 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 36 to 42 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 24. Windy, with a west southwest wind between 29 and 36 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Thursday: Snow showers, mainly before 10am. High near 24. Breezy, with a west wind between 22 and 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Thursday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy and blustery, with a low around 9. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 20.

Holy crap :shock:

Postby Ken Gross » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Bean wrote:Is there anyone in the front range looking to do some ski mountaineering once things stabilize some? I'm looking for a partner or partners. Local stuff only is fine, someone who'd like to ski Rainier in the spring would be even better.

Can never have too many BC ski partners! I have several Front Range and Summit/Vail zone objectives planned for the spring.

I am getting out this weekend to farm some safe low angle pow, hit me up if your interested
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby slopestyle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Wesley wrote:I only have a couple regular partners so depending on our schedules in the spring i'm often looking for others. Some of the 14ers on my tentative list for this season are North Maroon, Holy Cross, Longs, Crestone Peak, and maybe Pyramid and Mt. Wilson. Keep me in mind a few months from now if you're looking to get out.

I would like to do Rainier (climb or ski) but I probably won't be ready this season unless I start working on my glacier travel skills asap.

I could possibly be up for some of those. My normal partner left me over the Summer. I'm also thinking of heading up to Rainier in late May or early June with a possible ski...

Let me know,

~Sam
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s**t!!...WHAT A HELL OF A RIDE!!!!"

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:07 pm

Ken Gross wrote:Can never have too many BC ski partners! I have several Front Range and Summit/Vail zone objectives planned for the spring.

I am getting out this weekend to farm some safe low angle pow, hit me up if your interested
I'll be digging in the snow all day Saturday at Berthoud, so maybe next weekend.

PreviousNext