Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry Skiing

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Backcountry Skiing

Postby Bridger » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:27 pm

The nice thing about trekkers is that you can have more than one backcountry set up. I have different pairs of skis that I like to use in different conditions. Looks like you have a couple that you would like to use and trekkers will allow you to use them both. I use trekkers and I do agree that they suck. They are heavy, don't perform well, and break. However, they get the job done most of the time.

Postby TT Summit » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:03 pm

An additional question. When sizing the Avalung, how do you choose? I know they say go with your t-shirt size, but what about adding your additional layers and even a coat. I'm 6', 180lbs, 33-34 waist and 39 chest. ???

Postby ajkagy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:12 pm

seth0687 wrote:Incase anyone doesn't know Tramdock.com has had alot of BC gear in the last month or so. Definitely worth a look see every now and again. They have had touring boots, probes, packs, etc....

in addition...altrec had a 25% off coupon and mammoth gear had a 20% off coupon in the past month as well.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Geof3 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:51 pm

I don't know about the hot recommendation on the Dynafit. A buddy of mine is a VERY avid BC guy and has a pair and has issues with release (or lack there of). He hurt his knee due to a fall on them. They can be iffy, BUT they are uber light and they are burly, but the release still leaves something to be desired. They are not DIN rated and have an odd system of release and lock down. I think another company has addressed this better with a dynafit type of binding. The only issue with dynafit is you don't really want to ski them in bounds to much, even Dawson says they are for light trips and really aren't well suited to be a single ski quiver. You can get away pretty well with a one ski quiver with Naxo's or freerides.
Blue Steel

Previous