Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Boot Sale Suggestion

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski Boot Sale Suggestion

Postby sunshine1 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:25 pm

It's been a long time since I posted here but I need help. I'm a beginning to intermediate skier and went to Colorado Ski & Golf Expo back in November. Went to 3 stores before I went to the convention center. I couldn't get a boot to fit properly but being the novice I am I went with their advice after trying nearly 12 pair. Now I did the walking around in the living room etc as suggested, have been skiing only once, since I had to go back to Indy for a family emergency for 3 wks. I went back to the Littleton store 2 times prior..and OMG the sales people said I can't believe they put you in this boot! Each time I went there they said no problem if I needed to return them and crediting my credit card. I don't want a merchandise credit as 1) I don't golf and secondly, I have all the other gear I need as a beginner and other interests there isn't much more they can provide that I need right now, unless it were perhaps, REI. I have tried and tried and tried to make these fit and they just don't.

Anyway, I finally found a pair that fit great this weekend and hope to ski on them next weekend, however, I called the store today and said flat out I wanted to return them and that I don't want a merchandise credit, they were worn once, never adding or putting any adjustments to the boot as they suggest to "make" them fit. Well, at first I was told, nope merchandise credit. I said, nope! I want a credit to my card...was put on hold and the girl said, sure we'll give you the credit..and I said..on my card..and she said yes. So I go there tonight and what do you know...this a..hole said that it was way too long since they were purchased and they had a 30 day guarantee. I said well what about your 5 time ski guarantee? And he replied it was too long ago but they were willing to work with me. Well I said...30 days... there was no snow so how was I to try them and then secondly, I was told that I could return them each time I have been there countless times, trying on new boots, different brands, prices etc. Each time different story. I am now very knowledgeable in boot fit to say the least. :)

So bottom line..I don't want to return them to the store for full merchandise credit b/c they have really just ticked me off b/c they lied. Then...and then...not wanting to argue with them any further and protest I left. And the manager while I was walking out goes...um..yea..well bye bye. So now I definately dont want a credit from them. These boots have been used once and I would like to sell them...so what is the best way to do this and recover at least 3/4 of what I spent w/out getting CO Ski & Golf involved? They are Women's Tecnica Attviva 12 2007 boot costing $210.

Now I know this site has a classified section but how many actually look for ski boots here...or is there somewhere else(site) other than Craigs List or Ebay (shipping would be horrendous)?

Thanks for your help!

SS
Who is John Galt?

Re: Ski Boot Sale Suggestion

Postby rlw49 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Bite the bullet, take the store credit and take orders from your friends for stuff they need. Then they can pay you. Sounds like you're really hitting the wall on this one.
Good Luck!

Re: Ski Boot Sale Suggestion

Postby Cruiser » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Yup, your best bet is going to be to return them for credit and buy some boots that will work for you. Keep in mind that it can take several days of skiing for the liners in your boots to break in, and until they do your boots may feel tight and restrictive even though they are the correct size for you. That said used ski boots typically have pretty poor resale value. You're not going to get $200 for them on e-bay or CL, IMO. Suck it up and return 'em, and then tell everyone you run across not to shop at Ski and Golf any more because of their terrible customer service.
Where ever you are... There you are.