Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Friends of Berthoud Pass

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby gonzalj » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Same here, see you guys there.

User avatar
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Denver (Capitol Hill)

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Are there any requirements for the "on the snow" classes (Mary Jane or Berthoud) such as registration, gear or the like? Would love to attend one this winter!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller


I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Bean » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:17 am

RJansen77 wrote:Are there any requirements for the "on the snow" classes (Mary Jane or Berthoud) such as registration, gear or the like? Would love to attend one this winter!

You have to register. I'm not sure the specifics on the WP registration, but you can get in for early registration for the BP on-snow day by being an FOBP member. It fills up quick so it's a good idea to be able to get in line early for that.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Denver (Capitol Hill)

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby RJansen77 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:31 am

Bean wrote:
RJansen77 wrote:Are there any requirements for the "on the snow" classes (Mary Jane or Berthoud) such as registration, gear or the like? Would love to attend one this winter!

You have to register. I'm not sure the specifics on the WP registration, but you can get in for early registration for the BP on-snow day by being an FOBP member. It fills up quick so it's a good idea to be able to get in line early for that.


Thanks Bean, been looking for registration on the FOBP site but haven't had success yet. Sounds like a really useful class!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller


I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

User avatar
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Carl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 am

RJansen77 wrote:Thanks Bean, been looking for registration on the FOBP site but haven't had success yet. Sounds like a really useful class!


Nice meeting you last night. For your info and others:

We won't open registration for the on-snow days at Berthoud Pass until sometime after our last avy awareness course on January 19th. Like Bean says, if you're a member of FOBP, you'll get an email that gives you a heads up as to the date and time that online registration begins. Snowshoes are OK for on-snow days if you don't have a split board or AT/tele setup. Beacon, shovel, probe, and a backpack to carry it all in are mandatory. Bent Gate rents avy gear.

Details for the programs at Winter Park are in the works.

User avatar
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: San Jose

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby TheOtherIndian » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:43 am

It was very informative intro session yesterday Carl. Thanks to you and the team. Berthoud pass is very lucky to have such friends! :D
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

User avatar
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Denver (Capitol Hill)

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby RJansen77 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:23 am

Carl wrote:
RJansen77 wrote:Thanks Bean, been looking for registration on the FOBP site but haven't had success yet. Sounds like a really useful class!


Nice meeting you last night. For your info and others:

We won't open registration for the on-snow days at Berthoud Pass until sometime after our last avy awareness course on January 19th. Like Bean says, if you're a member of FOBP, you'll get an email that gives you a heads up as to the date and time that online registration begins. Snowshoes are OK for on-snow days if you don't have a split board or AT/tele setup. Beacon, shovel, probe, and a backpack to carry it all in are mandatory. Bent Gate rents avy gear.

Details for the programs at Winter Park are in the works.


Awesome, thanks a bunch for the info Carl, as well as for last night. It was a great, informative presentation and I'm glad I attended. Best of luck finishing up those descents, hopefully the Crestone group gets hammered for you.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller


I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

User avatar
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 am

FOBP is dividing resources between two free events tonight that might be of interest:

7pm in Denver - Presentation re: ACL injury/prevention for skiers by the director of physical therapy at Howard Head Sports Medicine. We're putting on this event at the TOSA Galley 1644 Platte Street.

6pm in Golden - Bent Gate Mountaineering (1313 Washington Avenue) is having Rick Grubin who teaches avy stuff at Loveland give an hour presentation on terrain management. Friends of Berthoud Pass is providing the beer, courtesy of Upslope. The talk is in the classroom in the basement. If you stick around for the Telemark Magazine movie Loyalty at 8pm, it's $10. Trailer looks pretty sweet. See you there.

Thanks for everyone that came to Powderwhore's movie last Friday (especially those that bought raffle tickets), it was a solid fundraising success for our avy education program!

User avatar
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby Carl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Avy awareness class tonight at Bent Gate at 7:30. We're working on scoring some beer since we have to compete with the Denver happy hour :wink: . Free as always. If you can't make it tonight check us out next week:

Dec 12 – The Oriental Theater, 4335 W 44th Ave, Denver
Dec 13 – The Pub, US Hwy 40, Winter Park

Also, our new this year "Introduction to Avalanches" course at Winter Park December 17 and 18 just got a big price reduction thanks to an anonymous donation. Cost is $20 plus the reduced lift ticket if you need one. It's an intro for folks thinking about getting into backcountry skiing. We'll be staying on the slopes at Mary Jane. More info here http://maryjaneavyclass.eventbrite.com/. If you already signed up and paid more than $20, bring your receipt on the day of and we'll refund the difference.

User avatar
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:52 pm
Location: Berthoud Pass, Colorado

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby FOBP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Our final regularly-scheduled* avalanche awareness classroom presentations of the season are this week at Bent Gate and next week at the GoLite Denver West outlet store.

(*we can arrange 'private' classes for your group. Contact us for more info)

User avatar
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:27 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby geojed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:14 pm

FOBP wrote:Our final regularly-scheduled* avalanche awareness classroom presentations of the season are this week at Bent Gate and next week at the GoLite Denver West outlet store.


Thanks for the reminder! I'll definitely make it to one of these.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

User avatar
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 pm
Location: San Jose

Re: Friends of Berthoud Pass

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 am

Just saw on their FB page, registrations are open for on snow classes on Feb 18th and 19th.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests