Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skis...Twin Tips?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Skis...Twin Tips?

Postby 14ers4me » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:37 am

I am in the market for new skis and was wondering if all mountains Twin Tips were the way to go. I have been told to go with Head Mojo 90's or K2 PE's, any thought on either of these skis or something different? Thanks.
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home

Re: Skis...Twin Tips?

Postby Buckeye » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:01 pm

I did some researching earlier this fall and settled on the Volkl Karma's, although I almost went with the Salomon 1080's.

Postby Gahugafuga » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:19 pm

I'd say it depends upon what you'll be skiing. Logically, twin tips ski shorter than their actual length due to the disengaged tail edge. This makes them somewhat snappier for tight turns without sacrificing any float for powder. I use them exclusively since I spend most of my skiing life in trees and chutes. That being said, were I still on the east coast where I began skiing, I would've killed for every last inch of edge on that famous eastern "packed powder."

So what will you primarily use these skis for -

powder, trees, chutes --> twin tips
groomers, hardpack --> flat tails

But these things are subjective. :D

P.S. Twin tips look cool. That should always factor into the decision-making.
Happiness is:

Postby joe4186 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:04 pm

i like twin tips on groomers as well,

always fun to practice skiing switch while on groomers at the resort.

i would say get twin tips, unless you are going to rock nastar every wkend at breck...
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby skier25 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:08 pm

I would say that it doesn't matter. Now, if you are going to be skiing and landing switch in the terrain park, then twin tips is the way to go. The most important factor is how the ski performs. I have the volkl karmas too, and they serve me well in both the backcountry and resort. Floatation in powder is mostly determined by the width of the ski, not the tail. Demo what appeals to you and choose the one that performs the best according to your needs and requirements.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby Couloirman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:16 pm

so, I figure if you are asking then this isnt even an issue but some people might be reading this who would benefit from knowing. Personally, Im done with twin tips. Sure, if you are in a steep tight couloir they are really nice(but not necessary) if you need to sideslip down and go backwards some without getting the tail caught in the snow, but theres a big tradeoff if you need to make an anchor . Many times I have stuck my ski tails into the snow as part of an anchor system to rappel onto a slope of unknown stability to test out how avy prone it was. This is a huge advantage over carrying a large, or even small rack of anchors and something I think every backcountry ski should be able to do. If you don't know how to do this but want too, buy the new backcountry skiing book by Martin Volken and he describes several ways of making anchors with your flat tailed skis. Have fun with you new sticks!

http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Skiing-Touring-Mountaineering-Mountaineers/dp/1594850380/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199052341&sr=8-1
Couloir than you are

Postby skerrane » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:59 pm

I got the 1080 foils and love 'em. Highly recommened

Postby joe4186 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:09 pm

whatever you buy, go fat
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby mainpeak » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:54 pm

Couloirman wrote:so, I figure if you are asking then this isnt even an issue but some people might be reading this who would benefit from knowing. Personally, Im done with twin tips. Sure, if you are in a steep tight couloir they are really nice(but not necessary) if you need to sideslip down and go backwards some without getting the tail caught in the snow, but theres a big tradeoff if you need to make an anchor . Many times I have stuck my ski tails into the snow as part of an anchor system to rappel onto a slope of unknown stability to test out how avy prone it was. This is a huge advantage over carrying a large, or even small rack of anchors and something I think every backcountry ski should be able to do. If you don't know how to do this but want too, buy the new backcountry skiing book by Martin Volken and he describes several ways of making anchors with your flat tailed skis. Have fun with you new sticks!

http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Skiing-Touring-Mountaineering-Mountaineers/dp/1594850380/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199052341&sr=8-1

Interesting point. Could you also bury the ski as as deadman to create an anchor?

Postby treydouglass » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I bought a pair of the Salomon Foils last year, and mounted a tele binding on them. GREAT set-up, IMO. The skis are flexible enough for tele, yet rigid enough for all-mountain and speed on the groomers. Seems like they would be a great ski with an alpine binding on them as well.

Postby Cruiser » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:34 pm

Twin tips are a nice way to ski something a little bit longer for the float while still enjoying the maneuverability that a ski with a shorter running length affords you. They're lots of fun at the resorts too, my workhorse resort ski is a twin. I used a twin tip as my backcountry ski for a couple of seasons, but I recently changed back to a traditional tail for the extra running length and stability at speed. Not to mention, as couiloirman said, flat tails have some real benefits in the backcountry like anchors and cutting the back wall of a block during snow stability testing.

Problem solved, assemble a quiver with several types of skis so that you're ready for anything... :D
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Couloirman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:02 pm

mainpeak wrote:
Interesting point. Could you also bury the ski as as deadman to create an anchor?

For sure thats always an option too(much like the T anchor), just a little more time consuming than some other ways. But then again, even if you do use an I, X, N, or H anchor (as outlined in the book and need straight tails for, 2 of which I had never seen before), you could always back it up with a deadman. Two anchors are always better than one...

Sorry if we are getting off topic here, I just thought it pertinent to the discussion
Couloir than you are

Next