Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry Skis

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports
Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:14 pm

one choice.... http://www.rei.com/category/4501581.htm

sub $500 package with boots if you stay in the softer boot category. obviously depends on what you choose.

for bc skis.. get wider and with edges. i have some sweet atomic, plus a set of Fischer , plus old ones with pine tar and no edges from way back when.

gear keeps getting different and better each and every year. the a/t category is pricier. i'm eating ramen to save up for those right now.

have fun.

Postby timstich » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:27 am

You can find a used set of skis and bindings at many ski shops that cater to backcountry. Or you might find some on Craigslist like my friend did. Or you might find components here and there. I got my bindings at Alpenglow for half price. Last one at the time I think. Then I found some used tele skis for $75 and had the bindings mounted at Neptunes. All told it was $300.

Re: Backcountry Skis

Postby Ken Gross » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:37 am

ezsuperkev wrote:Just took an avalanche course this weekend and watched my classmates skiing down while I had to snowshoe. It looks soo fun so yes now I have the bug.

Questions.. what do I need in terms of ski's ? I assume there are special ski's and bindings and boots (AT / Randonee) or something.

Could anyone point me to a good reference for all this stuff and possibly mention what a package would cost ?

thanks,

Kevin

Are you currently a Alpine Resort skier? If so going with Randonee or Alpine Touring gear is a no brainer if you already know how to Alpine ski.

There are some good books out there for getting an overview of the sport.. Ski Randonee, Backcountry Skiing, and the new one Backcounrty Skiing from the Mountaineers publishing will all give you the needed foundation of info.

Here is a good thread for BC newbs...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... +Avalanche
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby Cruiser » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:59 am

Check out http://www.sierratradingpost.com for bindings and boots. Go to this thread for a 20% discount on the STP order. Then hunt around for a set of used skis on Craigslist. Any old ski will do as long as it's cheap and fairly wide at the waist. You're going to destroy them in the back country anyway. Then you just need to locate a set of Black Diamond Ascension skins (maybe at REI since it can be difficult to get really good discounts on skins). At the end of the day you'll probably have to spend $500 to $600 or so for an AT rig. Since you went to the FOBP avy class I assume that you've already got the beacon, shovel, probe, knowlegde part of the equasion taken care of. Hope this helps.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby mtnmaniac » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:08 am

Depends what kind of BC you're talking about. If you want to ski some mountains, then there's AT or Tele setups. If you're just looking to snowshoe, but use skis instead there're the 'backcountry' setups.

For AT or Tele you can't go wrong with the setups available from Black Diamond- all the best IMO. Go with what works for you and feels the most comforable. Go to Backcountry.com (make sure to go thru this site) and their live gear expert will set you up with whatever for whatever budget, catering to brand preferences, etc. You'll get an idea of cost. Warning: AT/Tele is not cheap up front. It pays off though!

For backcountry setups Fischer and Alpina are the leaders IMO. These setups are gobs cheaper, but you're a little limited on what you can do.
Are you hurt.... or injured?

Postby cushman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:15 am

Cruiser wrote:Check out http://www.sierratradingpost.com for bindings and boots. Go to this thread for a 20% discount on the STP order. Then hunt around for a set of used skis on Craigslist.

Wouldn't you want to get good-fitting boots right off the bat? I'd think you could go to a local shop and try to determine your size before spending any money on boots online. A bootfitter can also mold the liner and get you a good footbed, but the shell has to be the right size before anything can be done. If your feet are killing you, you'll be hating life.
Fourteener? I hardly knew her!
Mark Cushman

Postby Cruiser » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:32 am

cushman wrote:Wouldn't you want to get good-fitting boots right off the bat? I'd think you could go to a local shop and try to determine your size before spending any money on boots online. A bootfitter can also mold the liner and get you a good footbed, but the shell has to be the right size before anything can be done. If your feet are killing you, you'll be hating life.

Yup, that's probably good advice. I went through 3 pairs of boots before I got it right. I re-sold the pairs that didn't fit for what I paid for them, so it wasn't that big a deal to me. But I can see your point. The biggest problem is that new AT boots are going to run $500 to $700 or so. You might try going to the Wilderness Exchange across the street from REI downtown. They have some good prices on AT boots and they also have some great staff to help with getting the right fit.
Where ever you are... There you are.

AT Setup

Postby comin2getcha » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:33 pm

ezsuperkev - A lot of good advice has already been given and I'll just add a little more. I went to a couple local shops and tried on boots to determine the correct size. As others have mentioned this is very important. Then I just started searching the internet. Being patient I was able to find a pair of Scarpa Tornados for about $270 in the correct shell size. This was less than half the price of any I could find locally. I had the liners molded at Larrys Boot Fitting in Boulder. He's one of the best.

As for skis and bindings - I just remained patient and found a pair of Atomics and Naxo bindings -- each about about half off. If I remember correctly I bought these from backcountry.com and the boots from mountaingear.com

I got a smokin' deal on BD skins at Wilderness Exchange last month. I'm not sure they have any left but that store should definitely be on your list to hit - IMO.

BTW - steepandcheap is running deals on ski gear all day tomorrow so keep checking that site also.

Good luck.

Postby JayMiller » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:33 pm

I've said it before, but to get started in the BC, try to find a pair of trekers on Craig's list and a pair of skins. This lets you find out if the back county is for you before you spend several hundred dollars. Cruiser found my trekers for $50.00 and if i remember right my skins for around $75.00. He's really good that finding deals. The only drawbacks to the trekers are that you have a small amount of additional weight and you are higher off your skies than with AT bindings. I havn't found this to be enough of a problem to make the switch yet. I use an older pair of boots that are a little to broken in for the resorts, but I can still lock them down tight enough to get about the same control as a cheaper pair of AT boots. As I get better in the power, I'm sure I will switch, but I can still get $50.00 for the trekers so the only loss will the the skins when I go to a wider ski, which will happen anyway.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby USAKeller » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:06 pm

I agree with comin2getcha about trying on several boots in a local store to see what model/brand you like, and waiting for good deals online (wow, Lance, who told you that was the thing to do?! :wink: ). I waited for good deals last spring and came away with a great AT set-up for $700 when it was all said and done (skins, bindings mounted, etc.).

By the way, is there anyone who skis on G3 skis and what do you think of them?
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby CAYCE » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:28 pm

There are no more skinny skiis. Ramer was right.

Re: Backcountry Skis

Postby timstich » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:56 pm

If anyone out there is looking for some used AT skis in the 160-170cm range, there is a used set at Sports Recycler in Boulder off of Broadway just before you hit 36 to Lyons. Skis are blue Atomics, not sure the model exactly, but they are similar to TM22s. Bindings are Silvretta 500s in very nice shape. $300.

Right now I have the same deal, but on 180s. I tour with mountaineering boots and resort ski with alpine boots. Works fer me.

Next