Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT Gear Shout Out

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:51 pm

Bent Gate actually has a pretty sweet demo deal. For $99 you get 4 days of demos, taking out two pairs of skis per day and boots, if you buy the skis or boots before mid Feb. you get the $99 back, or something like that.

I have the dukes that came out this season mounted on an 88mm pair of Movement skis. I was looking for an AT set up that would be equally happy at Mary Jane or Berthoud. So far (and this is only based on fighting my way down Copper a few days) the set up is great. The bindings really lock you into the skis well, sit close the ski, and they’re supposed to be able to take a beating. I’ve been to Berthoud a few times but for good reason used the old rock skis.

I’ve got cheap alpine boots. But so does Chris Davenport – anyone else surprised to learn that at his REI movie debut last week?

Postby indianhillsted » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:45 am

Thanks on the BG demo info.
cdowdy wrote:I’ve got cheap alpine boots. But so does Chris Davenport – anyone else surprised to learn that at his REI movie debut last week?

He hiked up wearing them or carried?

Postby Carl » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:59 am

Chris said he used an entry level Salomon rental boot with a new liner because he liked the walk mode and it was comfortable – said he preferred that over the AT boots costing 3 times as much. It was my impression that he used the boot for a combination of skinning and hiking. Sure he’s sponsored by Salomon, but I thought he would have used a nice AT boot.

FYI Winter Park has the AT demo day Nov. 25th. Although at this point they only have 20 acres open.

Postby timf » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:20 pm

For those poor broke people like me that can't afford an AT setup, does anyone have any thoughts on Alpine Trekkers?

Postby gb » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:34 pm

timf wrote:For those poor broke people like me that can't afford an AT setup, does anyone have any thoughts on Alpine Trekkers?

They work as intended. They are heavy, and if you do much backcountry you will want to get a full AT setup eventually. You sit up pretty far off your skis, so they are fairly awkward at first. They are prone to breaking, but I was careful/gentle with mine for years and they served me well. Sean Crossen has skied ~50 14ers, all of them with trekkers.

Back to the OP, I have Adrenalins and Freeride +'s, but skiing inbounds with that setup would not be fun for me at all. Way too much slop in the binding as well as the boot for me.

Postby JayMiller » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:02 pm

Since 80% to 90% of my skiing is inbounds, I can't justify the cost of AT. I use a set of Trekers with a 10 year old pair of Nordica boots and a pair of 02 or 03 Volant Machetes. Finish it with a set of BD Ascension Clipfix skins and you have fairly decent set-up. And before you jump, yes the Volant are slightly more than a bit heavy going up hill but they are the widest skis I own. I do have Cruiser on the look-out for something wider (he’s a wonder at finding deals) and hopefully lighter. The norticas are worn enough to have a bit is flex and are really comfortable on the way up and I can lock them down enough so they are still as responsive as a mid-line AT boot. The trekers do put you a little high off the skis, but it’s not a problem unless you are on a fairly steep cross slope. All and all, I am happy enough with the gear that AT is going to have to get a lot cheaper to move me over.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby GIR » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:31 pm

I ski on the fritchi freeride plus on the powder guns and use the Garmont Adrenaline boots. Its the only rig I use...in bounds or out. I think its best to have one rig to get used to instead of one for in bounds and one for out of bounds. I think the small amount of flexibility in the boots and bindings compared to alpine just makes you a better skier. I know people who are much better then I am that ski downhill in 2 buckle boots. Even in the moguls.

But hey, I've never even skied an alpine setup, so I cant really compare. I just think whatever is lacking in your equipment you can overcome with skillz easily enough. Just get some gear you can afford, go to a great bootfitter (Larry's in boulder), and get out there.

The freerides are great bindings. Strong has hell, less slop then the naxos, and relatively light. The garmonts are more of a ski boot then mountaineering boot. I had the denali TTs, and never liked them for skiing. they are now for sale (size 25.5 if anyone is interested).

And on a side note, if anyone saw Chris Davenports slideshow at REI, you should take anything he says with a grain of salt. The man is a professional skier, not a mountaineer. At all.
say "moosey-fate"

Postby Couloirman » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:51 pm

GIR wrote:And on a side note, if anyone saw Chris Davenports slideshow at REI, you should take anything he says with a grain of salt. The man is a professional skier, not a mountaineer. At all.

Try saying that to his face. I'm gonna go ahead and take everything YOU say with a grain of salt after this.

I would however take his words about gear with a grain of salt because he has sponsors he must make happy talking good stuff about their gear. Dav is most certainly a mountaineer
Couloir than you are

Postby Hacksaw » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:04 pm

GIR wrote:

And on a side note, if anyone saw Chris Davenports slideshow at REI, you should take anything he says with a grain of salt. The man is a professional skier, not a mountaineer. At all.

Boy are you full of yourself....... :roll: :roll: :roll:
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby geoffirons » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:10 pm

For backcountry skiing, I had some old rather straight Atomics with Fritschi bindings and pretty low-cuff Scarpa boots. Two years ago I got some Scarpa Lasers and started skiing better. Then last year I got some BD Havocs with Dynafit bindings, and started skiing everything very comfortably. I bought my wife a similar set-up, and after that we never put our alpine gear on again! We used them for backcountry, hut-to-huts, and resort skiing (some front-side, but mostly the bowls at Breck, Vail, etc.). I am totally as comfortable in all ski conditions (and more comfortable in deeper snow) with this set-up as I was on my alpine gear.
And the boots are far more comfortable for walking around too.

I skied the Marker Dukes at the Loveland ski demo this week, and they are fine bindings, but far heavier than the Dynafits. For my skier profile, the Dynafits are absolutely solid. The Dukes are for those "hucking" real big air or other extreme stuff (really, how many people need a DIN anywhere near 16?!).

Other notes from the demo:
If you're used to a wide ski that turns, choose the Volkl Mantra over the Gotama (just compare sidecut radius on each if you don't trust me!).
BD has gone to wood cores on their skis, and stiffened the Havoc; the Kilowatt is wider and stiffer still; if you like the feel of the old Havoc, try the Voodoo.
The new Coomba from K2 is a very nice ride for a wide ski.
Unfortunately, the snow was a little thin to give these skis a good test ride.
Geoff Irons

Postby GIR » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:34 am

Just a quick reply about the davenport thing. I dont really care what any faceless peeps on the internet think of davenport, but just because you climb mountains doesnt make you a role model mountaineer. Try finding other mountaineers who:
dont follow the 300 foot rule
dont claim challenger point as an official 14
think there are multiple 14ers in hawaii, and plans to ski them
doesnt know the correct number of 14ers in california, yet plans to ski them
doesnt know that rainier has two ranked summits above 14k
climbs in alpine boots

As stated earlier, the man can ski. I however, would not use his equipment or mountaineering recommendations.

This is my opinion of davenport. I'm not saying everyone else should believe it, or what he accomplished is anything other then amazing. I talked to him after the slide show, and he is a nice guy, very passionate about ski mountaineering...but yeah. Anyway, just trying to clear things up. I'm not trying to insult everybody's ski hero.
say "moosey-fate"

Postby Gahugafuga » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:23 am

A grasp of arcane details is the sign of a true mountaineer. :roll:
Happiness is:

PreviousNext