Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT Gear Shout Out

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Postby sherpasmith » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:39 am

In bounds I wear a standard alpine set up, K2s, Markers, Nordicas, bla bla, bla. It took me about a year of saving money and looking for deals, but I ended up in Scarpa Spirit 3s and G3 Barons w/Fritschi Freerides Plus. I agree that the AT gear sets you up a little high off the ski, but those Spirits are soooooo comfortable, I will probably use them at ski areas. Overall, this set up has been everything I hoped it would be. Light, solid, cuts crup, cruises. I'm a happy boy...

Postby tundraline » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:48 am

You might want to check out Randonnee gear as an alternative to AT gear. Randonnee gear provides the same speed and ease of ascending as AT gear. but also provides a locked heel on the descent where you can use your alpine skiing skills to better effect (presuming you are not a tele skier and have been an alpine skier for some time). Randonnee is way bigger in Europe than tele-skiiing, which essentially remains a North American phenomenon. IMHO, Randonnee would appear to provide more flexibility and control on the steeps and in the bumps than tele-skiing, which for in-bounds skiing could be a big advantage. The more upright stance of a Randonnee skier compared to a tele skier is also likely to provide more efficient use of muscles and better "bone stacking," which should translate into a Randonnee skier having the ability to last longer and do more turns per day than a tele skier. I am not a tele skier, though, so I can't say whether my "bone stacking" theory is correct. Tele and Randonnee skiing are both more substantially more demanding physically than conventional downhill/alpine skiing.

Postby mateo303 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Gahugafuga wrote:A grasp of arcane details is the sign of a true mountaineer. :roll:

Armchair Mountaineer that is... :roll:

Postby cushman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:07 pm

tundraline wrote:You might want to check out Randonnee gear as an alternative to AT gear.

Randonnee == AT. Two words for the same thing.
Fourteener? I hardly knew her!
Mark Cushman

Postby Ken Gross » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Davenport is the greatest type of Mountaineer of all... a Ski-Mountaineer!!
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby RenoBob » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm using the Freeride Plus on K2 Shuksans and I'm very pleased. Last year I did all my AT skiing in my down hill boots. I didn't have too many problems or discomfort hiking/skinning in, but I can see where a good pair of Garmonts would be a big plus weight, traction etc.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby tundraline » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:33 pm

cushman wrote:
tundraline wrote:You might want to check out Randonnee gear as an alternative to AT gear.

Randonnee == AT. Two words for the same thing.

Thanks for the correction. My ignorance shows . . .

Postby Bean » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:29 pm

kentheskier wrote:Davenport is the greatest type of Mountaineer of all... a Ski-Mountaineer!!
Can't be said much better than this.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Hacksaw » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:32 pm

I have skied in AT boots since the late 70's. I have used an asortment of different bindings over the years. I currently ski on Nordica TR12's, and most of my skis have the Freeride bindings on them.

One of the major mistakes I often see folks make with their AT gear (at a ski areas and in the backcountry), is that they leave their boots in WALK mode. When skiing downhill, its better to lock in the forward lean function. This helps with making turns and absorbing bumps, etc.... And keeps them from sitting back on their skies. Give it a try kids.

Later,

Halsted
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Previous