Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

AT Gear Shout Out

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

AT Gear Shout Out

Postby indianhillsted » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:54 pm

Who here uses AT gear? What do you think of your setup? Do you have old gear that you have horror stories about?

I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before deciding what gear to get (if any). The majority of my skiing will be in bounds. Will I hate AT boots? The few I've tried on have felt very different that regular alpine boots and I hope to adjust, but will I have as much fun in bounds? I will rarely be using it out of bounds for the first few years (still teaching the kiddos), but want to have the option.

Of the boots I've tried, I'm leaning towards the Garmont Adrenaline. Anyone have those?

I know I'm being pretty vague here. Thanks for your input.

Ted

Re: AT Gear Shout Out

Postby ScottN » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:04 pm

indianhillsted wrote: The majority of my skiing will be in bounds. Will I hate AT boots?

Ted

I'm in the same boat, the majority of my skiing is inbounds, but I do get out on several backcountry trips in the winter, and much moreso in the spring when the snow is stable.

I have Frischi Freeride bindings with Scarpa Denali TT boots. The bindings are solid with a 12 DIN setting, and havent released in a bad spot yet.

The Denali TT's are probably one of the more performance driven AT boots when I bought them. It's got 4 buckles, and tightens up well. Coming somewhat from a racing background, I notice that I dont get the same performace as my old alpine boots. If I was skiing the hardpan back at Killington maybe I might care, but out west it hasnt been a big deal for me.

One thing I do notice is that they are a lot warmer and comfortable than Alpine boots, and for that alone, i'll never go back to alpine.

This is just my rambling post. It's my first AT setup, so I am by no means an expert on the subject!

Postby Cruiser » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm currently using Fritschi Freerides 05-06 vintage mounted on 03-04 188cm Rossi Scratch BC's with BD Ascension Clipfix skins and Garmont G-Rides. That said I've only skied that rig once in bounds and only for a couple of runs. It's a backcountry rig, not a resort rig. The Freerides put me up too high off of the skis for them to be really comfortable on groomed trails. The Garmonts didn't bother me at all at the resort though. They are so comfortable and light that I could happily ski them in any conditions, but I don't. Instead I have a regular downhill boot for my resort skiing.

What I'm trying to say is that IMO AT gear is for backcountry skiing, and downhill gear is for the resorts. If you're going to do both, and you want specialized gear, then you really need multiple setups.

Or you could look into the Marker Duke binding. Supposedly they are a nice compromise between AT and downhill performance.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:18 pm

haven't used any yet, have only hauled all my aline gear on my back when skiing in the backcountry, and its HEAVY.

I am slowly making my way for a full set up. Have some unbinded Black Diamond Nunyos which might end up getting some attention this season after all. There were some Naxo nx11 AT bindings on SteepandCheap last nght for 180$ and I just missed out at snagging them. I got some skins for free, which was nice and am looking to get a pair of those scarpa denali boots hopefully by the end of this weekend for a real good deal as well.

Postby ScottN » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Cruiser wrote:What I'm trying to say is that IMO AT gear is for backcountry skiing, and downhill gear is for the resorts. If you're going to do both, and you want specialized gear, then you really need multiple setups.

I'd agree with that statement. Being able to afford two setups is another story! I make due with just AT, although steep groomers are not my favorite with the setup, but who wants to ski those anyways?

Postby Gahugafuga » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:39 pm

I did all my resort skiing last year on my backcountry setup without a problem, although admittedly I don't ski inbounds much anymore. Nonetheless, I logged at least 10 days of mogul skiing at Mary Jane on AT gear without a problem. It probably helps that I'm not particularly heavy.

And yes, the gear DOES feel different primarily because the lightweight materials used in the boots decreases stiffness and the bindings sit high up off the ski. Like Cruiser said, Dukes are one compromise. And Dynafit is marketing a new line of boots (ZZero CT-4F) that are supposed to be as burly as alpine boots but as light as normal AT boots. Expect to get bent over on the price though.
Happiness is:

Postby gurlyclimber » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:40 pm

I have some old but brand new Black Diamond Arc Demon skis mounted with silvretta 404s. The only problem I'm having is that there isn't much snow to ski on yet. Cry me a river. . .I know. . :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby Cruiser » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Lordhelmut, if you're looking for some inexpensive AT bindings check out http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/9118 ... dings.html on November 19th (when they put the ski stuff on sale again) then go to this link for an extra 20% off. I'm pretty sure they're a rebadged version of the Silveretta Pure bindings.

Postby rsincavage » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:46 pm

I've got a pair of Naxo nx21 bindings mounted on a pair of BD Crossbows, and I'm using the Scarpa Denali TT boots. I do have a pair of old rock skis for early season conditions at the resorts, but generally I use this setup for both in bounds and BC skiing (I'm hoping to grab a cheap resort setup soon to avoid wear and tear on my BC setup- like others have said, it's better to have specific gear for each type of skiing since they're so different).

I've been extremely happy with the Scarpa boots. It's a pretty stiff boot with 4 buckles, so not a huge difference in downhill performance from an alpine setup. Having said that, I haven't found them to be terribly uncomfortable on the hike/skin in either. In the spring I've hiked in/out of areas for distances of maybe 5 or 6 miles with no blister problems or major discomfort- that alone makes them a huge upgrade from having to carry in the heavy alpine gear. Biggest adjustment is getting used to the bindings, which do have you riding up a bit higher. It feels a little strange at first, but you adjust pretty fast.
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he goes to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-Bob Dylan

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."
-Lloyd Dobler

Postby Ken Gross » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:51 pm

I spent several years on Fritschis (Titinal 2s, 3s, and Freerides) before making a recent switch to Dynafits :D

I would agree that its better to not use AT gear in bounds, however if you are spending most of your time in bounds teaching young kids to ski, then it can be a great option. When teaching kids to ski, you end up spending a lot of time skiing slow, doing a backwards snow-plow, and you dont really need the extra stability and performance of an Alpine Setup to do that stuff. I spent alot of time on AT gear while teaching my daughter to ski at the resort for one reason, comfort!! AT boots are so much warmer and more comfortable, nice to walk in too.(an important consideration considering you will be carrying your skis, plus your kids skis, and sometimes your kids)
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby Cruiser » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:55 pm

Mots010 wrote:I'd agree with that statement. Being able to afford two setups is another story! I make due with just AT, although steep groomers are not my favorite with the setup, but who wants to ski those anyways?

I've been hunting around during the last 4 summers for deals on Craigslist, E-Bay and a few other chanels for used skis to fill up my quiver. I think I'm up to 6 pairs now. Right now the quiver consists of AT, deep powder, corduroy killers, rock skis, snowlerblades :oops: , and twin tips for an everyday resort ski. Other than the AT rig I don't have more than $100 in any single pair of those skis.

Postby Ken Gross » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:00 pm

Cruiser wrote: snowlerblades :oops:

Nice! Surprised you would admit to owning snowlerblades on de web!

:-$ I used to have a pair too. So to followup to what I said above, I assert that Snowlerblades with AT boots and no poles are the ideal setup for teaching young kids to ski.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Next