Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

no AT gear

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

no AT gear

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm

I've been trying to buy an AT setup for the longest time but just can't come up with the funds for the life of me, but I still want to ski in the backcountry. I've done a few in the past, mainly Bierstadt, Grays, Wetterhorn and Berthoud Pass. I've always taken my lighter of the two alpine skiis I own and lugg them up the mountain. This year, I got lighter and newer boots that are more comfortable, so it won't be as bad.

I've actually used some skins to get up Berthoud on alpine skiis, and having never used AT before, I have nothing to compare it to, but it was surely easier than carrying all the gear up, whether I could control my heel or not, it was a start.

So basically, does anyone else ski 14ers or whatever w/o AT? Do you lug it up, and if you do, i'd like to know the most efficient way of doing this. I finally have a new, better pack, which is another start, the Gregory Z-Pack, which carries the skiis (w/ boots attached) very well, it doesn't feel too heavy at all and has plenty of room for avy and winter climbing gear in the main body.

Thanks for the insight.

Postby changingground » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:29 pm

I bought a pair of Backcountry Access Alpine trekker bindings for my wife to use, as I thought she would probably never learn to Tele', and she wanted dedicated downhill gear (instead of AT). She's never used them, so I still have them, N.I.B., taking up gear storage space.

Had you considered this product? They allow you to free heel in your downhill boots, using your downhill bindings. When you want to descend you can lock your heel down (I'm pretty sure) or take the Trekker out altogether and click in as normal, and put the Trekker in your backpack.

http://www.sierradescents.com/reviews/b ... rekker.php

Postby Jcwhite » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:31 pm

If you are interested i have a pair of new naxo nx11's I'd sell you (or anyone) for $200. I have a small and a medium. The small is on ebay right now.

here

The medium's are on craigslist

here
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby Jcwhite » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:34 pm

changingground wrote:I bought a pair of Backcountry Access Alpine trekker bindings for my wife to use, as I thought she would probably never learn to Tele', and she wanted dedicated downhill gear (instead of AT). She's never used them, so I still have them, N.I.B., taking up gear storage space.

Had you considered this product? They allow you to free heel in your downhill boots, using your downhill bindings. When you want to descend you can lock your heel down (I'm pretty sure) or take the Trekker out altogether and click in as normal, and put the Trekker in your backpack.

http://www.sierradescents.com/reviews/b ... rekker.php

You have to take them out, they don't lock down like standard at gear does.
Not a horrible product, but balance isn't all that great.
The trekkers are better for short skins in bounds.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby gb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:34 pm

Alpine trekkers. You should be able to find them cheaply from someone who has since upgraded to an AT set-up. They're heavy, but at least you have the alpine gear you know and trust on the downhill.

Postby Ken Gross » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:53 pm

x3 for Trekkers. Great way to start getting into BC skiing. You buy the trekkers and a pair of skins and off you go. You should be able to find trekkers used for under $100. JC White's Naxos for $200 are a real good deal too. I would say to get Trekkers if you can score some cheap enough... but if you are looking to pay over $100 for Trekkers than it would make more sense to pick up some used AT binders. I have seen used Fritschis and Naxos for as cheap as $150
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby rsincavage » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:52 pm

Used to haul my resort gear up, then broke down and got a BC setup. Like everyone else says, give the trekkers a try. I was going to get a pair but broke down for the whole AT setup instead.
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he goes to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-Bob Dylan

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."
-Lloyd Dobler

Postby JayMiller » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:39 pm

I agree with the Trekkers. I found a pair last year on Craig’s list for $50.00. I found them totally acceptable, even though it is true they do add weight and they set you up a little high on the skis. I liked them well enough that I’m not going go AT until the prices really start to fall. Between my skins (also on Craig’s for $60.00) and Trekkers I have $110.00 invested.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby gb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:46 pm

A couple of other nice things about trekkers even if you graduate to a full-time AT set-up in the future.

1- You'll still have the trekkers for any friends or family you would like to introduce to backcountry skiing.

2- They are still useful at ski resorts with gates. The last time I was at Blackcomb I skied inbounds until the afternoon in my downhill gear and then went for a quick tour with my trekkers at the end of the day.

Postby Carl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:47 pm

I usually lug my gear up because (and I'm looking to expand this) I usually stick to Berthoud Pass, don't hike far, and just hitch hike back up. Bent Gate has a nice 2400 cubic inch BCA pack on sale for $100 that I recently picked up.

I too have a pair of the trekkers that I found dirt cheap on eBay; haven't made the upgrade to AT gear yet.

On a side note, and I don't mean to hijack your thread here, I need a pair of 80mm skins for an avy class I signed up for in December but can't afford to drop $100 right now on top of the class and avy gear. If anyone has any ideas/leads please let me know. I'll check craiglist now.

More AT feedback

Postby higherhigher » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:26 am

Also hoping not to hijack the thread, but I just bought a pair of Atomic Janak from a guy in OR. He suggested that I go with a pair of Fritschi Explore bindings, and the guy at REI Englewood suggested Dynafit. I haven't bought boots yet, so I'm not committed there. I just want to do moderate BC stuff with a relatively lightweight setup that's secure. thanks.

Re: More AT feedback

Postby gb » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:36 am

higherhigher wrote:Also hoping not to hijack the thread, but I just bought a pair of Atomic Janak from a guy in OR. He suggested that I go with a pair of Fritschi Explore bindings, and the guy at REI Englewood suggested Dynafit. I haven't bought boots yet, so I'm not committed there. I just want to do moderate BC stuff with a relatively lightweight setup that's secure. thanks.

If you're skiing moderate stuff and were already planning on getting AT boots, go dynafit. Much much lighter and also a more efficient design. Hopefully you can find a boot that you like, something that I have not yet found in a dynafit-compatible boot.