Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New to AT skiing

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

New to AT skiing

Postby seth0687 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:58 pm

So my hatred of snow shoes has finally led me to picking up an AT ski setup. So with that being said I'd love to get out with some people and learn the ropes.

Shoot me a pm if you want to get out sometime.

Re: New to AT skiing

Postby Taillon75 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:21 pm

You have chosen..... Wisely.
Catchy saying from someone famous.

Postby seth0687 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks. It's been a long time coming but finally bit the bullet.

Postby Dave B » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:03 am

Hey Seth - I'm always happy to get out up to Cameron or RMNP. Probably can't do next weekend, but can just about any other and some week days. Let's try to keep in touch.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:12 am

Watch yourself. Did the wife approve more gear? :lol:

Postby seth0687 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Dave that sounds great. I'm looking forwad to skinning into some ice in the park as well. Keep me posted on your time off. I have thurs-sat off through the end of the year.

Tj,

It cost me a woman's puffy and a new hat for her but yea she signed off! The gear fairy has been good to me lately!

Postby oldschoolczar » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm new to AT skiing as well. I'd be up to tour any time I'm available. I'm only free on weekends typically unless I'm calling in a powder day :mrgreen:

I haven't been doing much uphill yet, but I'm very happy with the downhill performance of my gear... I've got 5 days at Copper and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't sacrifice anything on the downhill.. although I got a pretty beefy setup (marker tour F12s, scarpa freedoms, and k2 sideshows). Those scarpa boots are freaking awesome!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby uwe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Berthoud Pass this coming Saturday morning if conditions warrant.
5:30 leave Denver.
1:30 head home.
Figure 5-6 hours is enough for my first day out.

I'll be touring and doing snow observations, pit digging and data collecting, (prepping for the AIARE 1 ITC).
I am new to the AT gear and renting, but can ski and fall pretty well.

Postby seth0687 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Can't make this Saturday as I'm heading up to rmnp to climb ice but definitely shoot me a pm and we can figure something out for next time.

Seth

Postby oldschoolczar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:27 pm

I would likely be up for Berthoud on Saturday...

I've got a bit of a newb question. What kind of poles do you guys use for tours? I have some BD hiking poles that I used at the resort one day and they just weren't rigid enough. I much prefer my 1992 lime green and hot pink bent-up Rossignol poles :) Very stiff and rigid.. but they probably aren't the best in the BC.

Do you guys typically use collapsible poles or regular downhill ski poles when you're touring?
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Dave B » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:39 pm

oldschoolczar wrote:I would likely be up for Berthoud on Saturday...

I've got a bit of a newb question. What kind of poles do you guys use for tours? I have some BD hiking poles that I used at the resort one day and they just weren't rigid enough. I much prefer my 1992 lime green and hot pink bent-up Rossignol poles :) Very stiff and rigid.. but they probably aren't the best in the BC.

Do you guys typically use collapsible poles or regular downhill ski poles when you're touring?

I, personally, ski with the BD traverse poles. They're two piece so a bit more rigid than your typical three-piece trekking pole, but nothing like a resort pole. I just don't find myself poling a whole lot so I haven't considered taking my resort poles, but have skied with one or more phenomenal skiers who only use single-piece poles.

I do like the ability to shorten the Traverse so I can do a short pole in one hand and ice axe in the other for climbing couloirs.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Bean » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:37 pm

oldschoolczar wrote:Do you guys typically use collapsible poles or regular downhill ski poles when you're touring?

2-piece BD flicklock poles with powder baskets and the straps removed.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Next