Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couloir Season 2013

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Couloir Season 2013

Postby rangercarl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm

The Silver couloir on Buffalo mtn was in fine skiing shape today. Nice, soft, supportable dry powder with a few faceshots at the top. Probably would not be in great climbing condition for quite some time.

Postby gb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 am

lordhelmut wrote:
3) Aetna - Grand Couloir

4) Crested Butte area - Gothic, Red Lady Bowl and anything else within striking distance

Aetna has been pretty fat all year, and with its sunny exposure and recent warm temps, I bet there's corn up there.

Red Lady isn't worth the drive down here, IMO. It gets skied in pow all winter long, but it is a good route for bc newbies in the springtime. Better terrain on other sides. I'm sure the S and W sides of gothic are seeing turns already. East face- by the time I feel good about that one, the choke might be melted out. We have had some big slides on N and E facing alpine terrain recently. Other than Gothic, a lot of the best lines (especially bigger springtime lines) are better with sled access. Maroon hut in Gothic might be worthwhile- accessing Queen basin, Golden Tops, and Precarious, among others. (Though they can also be done as a long day slog)

Postby lodgling » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 am

Fletch wrote:Snake Couloir on Sneffels? Anybody got anything?

Check TGR -- someone gnarly skied it. I can't say whether it is ready for mere mortals yet. There is likely to be some great info after this weekend.

Postby Carl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 am

Fletch wrote:And finally, the Red Gully on Crestone is in? Just making sure?

Thanks all...

Yep, it's in. Obviously not as good as in an average year. That rock choke near the bottom isn't covered in snow. Based on the photos I saw from 2 weeks ago it looks like conditions are quite similar to the TR I posted from this time of year in 2011 (also a low snow year in the Sangres).

If anyone happens to go in this weekend I'd love to see a close shot of the Needle. Otherwise I'll head in next weekend and take a peek myself.

Postby gonzalj » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:58 pm

For those who are interested, here are some photos of the angel & aetna from a distance. I'll probably be able to get a good pic in the next couple of days of sneffels.
Attachments
aetna small.jpg
aetna
aetna small.jpg (158.96 KiB) Viewed 850 times
angel small.jpg
angel
angel small.jpg (141.72 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Postby Easy Rider » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm planning on being on time this weekend with my timing in the San Juans. There has been a long and steady warming trend, and some potential for things to get ugly if it continues.

Postby B[3] » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:51 am

Lackawanna as viewed from Bull Hill yesterday:

lackawanna.jpg
lackawanna.jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 569 times

And another look:

another look.jpg
another look.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby B[3] » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 am

And here's Grizzly D from 3/14/13:

Griz D.jpg
Griz D.jpg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby Scott P » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:40 pm

The big couloir on the south side of Lackawanna is in perfect condition. Use caution after a snowstorm and in the afternoons. Get an early start.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby KyleS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Probably not on many radars, but the Naked Lady Coulior on Snowdon Peak was a blast yesterday. We turned back short of the summit due to a number of factors, the only relevant one being that the snow, albeit stable and great for step-kicking, was a little too soft for proper self-arrest. Not from being too warm, actually the opposite - not sun affected at all. Would be a great ski descent.
Attachments
Naked Lady.jpg
Naked Lady.jpg (226.68 KiB) Viewed 404 times

Postby Kiefer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Anyone interested in having a go at Dragon's Tail this coming Wednesday?

Fletch,
I'll be down on The Snake in a couple/few weeks time. I'll let ya know on conditions.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby Scott P » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Lackawanna Couloir March 30:

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

PreviousNext