Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Transceiver / Go Pro Interference

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Transceiver / Go Pro Interference

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:27 pm

As some of the comments pointed out this interference should not be a surprise. Just about all transceiver companies give warning to separate by 30cm a transceiver and any other electronic device or to turn off other electronic devices when in search mode. GoPro cameras (and likely other electronic cameras), iPods, electric motors, are just a trio of many electronic devices that can cause avi transceivers grief when in the search mode. Cell phones and even some VHF/UHF radios can cause trouble too. The affect of these communication devices is generally much less than other electronic devices because communication devices have shielding. - Dale Atkins, president of American Avalanche Association, US representative to Avalanche Commission of International Commission for Alpine Rescue (IKAR)

I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Re: Transceiver / Go Pro Interference

Postby flintster » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Cool video. I did a heli trip this year in western canada and the go-pro chest mount was not allowed. Nice to see a demonstration of the interference.

Postby atalarico » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 am

Sheesh. This has crossed my mind before, but it's really nice to see it confirmed. I'm going to spread the word. Every second counts in an avi search, and this would definitely mess that up. Thanks!

Postby dehrlich101 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Here's some more research on the effects of electronics on beacons.

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/2012/11/19/issw-2012-avalanche-beacons-and-electrical-interference/
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Good info. I wonder how wearing a GoPro affects heuristic thinking? My observations have been that there is a negative impact. Hopefully that beacon is working!
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com