Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13er Peak Checklists

Changes to 13ers.com

Re: 13er Peak Checklists

Postby smoove » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:14 pm

This site just keeps getting better and better. But this new checklist isn't really helping anyone's hiking/climbing addiction....

Postby George James » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:21 pm

As a checklist detractor, I can't say that I'm particularly excited about this addition, but I will play along and add my meager set of checks to a list...though I'm fervently resolved to keep you people from turning me into a 'checklister,' almost as much as I refuse to let my roommates turn me into a Telemarker!

Kidding aside, what a great website. Thanks for everything. :D
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Not all of us like the idea of keeping checklists. At a minimum, I think it can help in the Climbing Connection area.

I'm not much for keeping checklists myself, but filling out the 13er checklist made me realize how many peaks I haven't climbed yet. Being a skier, I tend to focus more on where the snow is rather than trying to knock of 13ers. Still, I need to get out to more of them just for the sake of adding content to 13ers.com.

BTW, the new 13er lists are just the start of what I'll be adding to 13ers.com this winter. I plan on re-vamping that site and integrating the trip report process so reports can be attached to 13er peak pages, etc. I also have thousands of new photos that I need to go through so I can get more on that site. My goal is to make 14ers.com and 13ers.com work together as much as possible so there's a common interface throughout both sites.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Bill, just a thought and maybe something not relevant to this thread, but since many of these peaks are seldom climbed, would you want help from people that have photos and possibly route info? Not sure how much info you were planning on putting on that site.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:Bill, just a thought and maybe something not relevant to this thread, but since many of these peaks are seldom climbed, would you want help from people that have photos and possibly route info? Not sure how much info you were planning on putting on that site.

YES!
I plan on making it easy to upload photos to the 13er pages - even if none exist for a given peak. For the 14ers, we have this to some degree with the "More Photos" upload option, but I'd like to open up 13ers.com even more.

Thanks for asking.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:14 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Woohoo!

SarahT - 566!
I didn't know you had that many done - way to go.

It's even more amazing when you consider how quickly she has done them.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby native_mntguy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:51 pm

smoove wrote:This site just keeps getting better and better. But this new checklist isn't really helping anyone's hiking/climbing addiction....

yes, it looks I'll be dragging my buddies up this list now :lol:
The best things in life are those that are the hardest to obtain.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:57 pm

An interesting part of these lists is I “discover” peaks I have already climbed. I’m someone who routinely walks over minor subpeaks, instead of skirting them. There are various ranked and unranked bumps along the way I have gathered in this way. I haven’t always recorded them. I only recently realized I have climbed a peak called “Cupid” multiple times on the way to Grizzly. In the past few years I learned of other names for peaks that remain unnamed on the topos. I just finished examining the topo to decide 13660A was one I climbed on approach to Ellingwood’s north ridge.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby highcountryhiker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:11 pm

This is a very nice addition to the site. Also good timing as I had been thinking of putting my list on LOJ and now I don’t need to. Thanks Bill for all your hard work!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:19 pm

Barry Raven wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Barry Raven wrote:I would assume that a non-bolded type on the name means that it is not an official peak? If so, Mt. Mamma needs to be bolded. :-)

The gray peak names are ones with prominence less than 300 feet. I'll try to make that more clear on the pages.

Thanks!

Ok, that's what I thought, but Mt. Mamma threw me off since it has a prominence over 500 ft. and wasn't bolded. :P

For Mt. Mamma, there is some confusion as to whether or not PT 13,646 is the summit or the true summit is the 13,553-foot point just to the north. Some maps show Mt. Mamma extending to PT 13,646. Anyway, the current list maintained by Gerry Roach has Mt. Mamma and PT 13,646 as being separate, thus <300' of prominence for Mt. Mamma.

I think it's all Mt. Mamma, but I'm not going to customize the "list" at this point.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Daniel Trugman wrote:Yay!

Now I can check off the one 13er I've climbed...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

"Lizard Head ... is the most difficult of Colorado summits to reach. In fact the rottenness of its 400' tower makes safety too much a matter of luck for comfort. Returning visitors have formed the opinion that the peak has become noticeably rottener and more dangerous. Our advice ... when you reach the base, take picture and go home." -Robert Ormes in the Guide to the Colorado Mountains, Seventh Edition, 1979

Didn't you lead this one? You have nothing to be embarrassed about!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:32 pm

d_baker wrote:Nice addition to the site, Bill.
A divided list of cent's, bi's, tri's, etc would be cool, but I'm sure would take a bit of work. Regardless, thanks!

BTW...where is this "Booby Prize" in the Sawatch? ;-)

It shouldn't be too bad to do sub-lists for cents, bi's and tri's. I'll try to add that this weekend. Thanks
"Booby Prize" is a nickname for Unnamed PT 13,312, located 2 miles SW of Middle Mountain and less than 1 mile SE of Prize Benchmark (13,384').

PreviousNext