Backpacking ideas

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Backpacking ideas

Post by CoHi591 »

Hey everyone,
In anticipation of summer a friend and I are starting to think about some backpacking plans. I know there are endless opportunities all over Colorado, so I wanted to get some input from you on your favorite or most highly recommended spots. He's in Telluride and I'm in Denver so we would prefer somewhere roughly in between the two, probably 2-4 days, amazing scenery is really all we're looking for. Both experienced backpackers. Would love to get above treeline for a while and maybe bag a summit or two above 13. Thanks for your ideas!
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Backpacking ideas

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Check out the Weminuche Wilderness. Lots of backpacking and summit opportunities, on-trail and off-trail. No need to take the train if you don't want to.
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

The Gore Range sits between Denver and Telluride.
Piney Lake TH leads to some nice country: Kneeknocker Pass, Mt. Powell, Duck Lake, Eagle's Nest, etc.
-km
Wolfman_CO
14ers: 27  5 
13ers: 36 1 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wolfman_CO »

I second the Gore Range. I did a 4 night, solo trip there a few years ago and the trip included a summit of Powell, above treeline travel and route/pass finding as I connected two trails to circumnavigate the Powell-Eagles Nest block. The area is rugged and gorgeous and I only saw 2-3 people the whole trip, even though you can see Vail Resort and I-70 from the high places. This was late August, a typically busy time in the high country. Especially if you have some prior backcountry camping and travel experience there are a lot of fun options in the area.
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

I took our scouts for a 50 miler in the Gore Range and it was very scenic. If I were to plan another 50 miler or extended backpacking trip and wanted to hit some high peaks I would consider Holy Cross Wilderness (Mt Holy Cross, sub peaks, Holy Cross City), Uncompahgre Wilderness (Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn, Matterhorn), Maroon Bells (4 pass loop, Conundrum hot springs, 14ers and 13er options), Chicago Basin or a leg of the Colorado Trail (more difficult logistics, since it will be hard to make a loop). I think two great books for planning backpacking trips are Colorado's Incredible Backcountry Trails and The Complete Guide to Colorado's Wilderness Areas.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I took our scouts for a 50 miler in the Gore Range and it was very scenic.
Wheeler Trail plus side trips?
He's in Telluride and I'm in Denver so we would prefer somewhere roughly in between the two, probably 2-4 days, amazing scenery is really all we're looking for.
If you are into backpacking, I'd stick closer to the Telluride side of the state if you can. The San Juans are the best backpacking range in Colorado.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

Scott P wrote:
I took our scouts for a 50 miler in the Gore Range and it was very scenic.
Wheeler Trail plus side trips?
Just along the Gore Range trail with side trips up to some of the lakes.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Awesome everyone, thank you for your responses. I haven't explored the gore range nearly enough so I will prioritize some trips in that area. Really appreciate all the input!
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
mtnjam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjam »

We are planning on starting at Twin Lakes and taking the Colorado Trail south to a few miles south of Monarch Pass and then returning on the CDT to Twin Lakes - I think it is called the Collegiate Loop. However, we were originally looking at a shorter trip from Twin Lake by the CT to Frenchman Crk and then return by heading north on S Pine Crk to Pine Crk, across Elkhead Pass back to Clear Creek and over Hope Pass and back to Twin Lake. Seemed like a good route, but we had the time to do the longer version. Good luck on whatever route you choose.