McCurdy Mountain/Bison - snow conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
maurer_kg
Trip Reports (0)

McCurdy Mountain/Bison - snow conditions?

Post by maurer_kg »

Hi All,

I've got a hiking/snowshoeing trip to McCurdy Mountain planned for May 7 (departing Two Eagles TH). But I'm curious about snow conditions given all the moisture we've had lately. Anyone been up McCurdy recently (or any nearby peaks, like Bison)?
Alpenglo
14ers: 53 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Re: McCurdy Mountain/Bison - snow conditions?

Post by Alpenglo »

I was up on Ptarmigan Peak last Monday the 25th over in the South Williams Fork Mountains. It's a similar altitude(mid12K)/aspect as McCurdy & Bison and not too far away. The conditions were dry starting off out of Silverthorne (~9000ish feet), then patches of snow were covering the trail in spots especially on the more north-facing slopes along the west side of the mountain. Some of these patches of snow were deep enough that there was significant postholing to a foot or more deep and it was a real PITA. It was off and on snow/dry for several miles, so snowshoes really weren't an option at that point. Then the trail dissappeared under the snow with no tracks so I headed straight up a slope to the ridgeline and it was solid snow the whole way up that, but breaking trail and some awful postholing spots even with snowshoes made it not ideal. I pounded through it and made it to the ridgeline at 11K+ feet and from there it was fine all the way to the summit with snowshoes. I would think McCurdy would be somewhat similar conditions, especially 9 days from now with some more snow this week. Definitely bring snowshoes, poles and maybe microspikes and expect that you may encounter areas of fairly deep snow with postholing. Good luck and enjoy the Tarryall Mtns!
scott goldberg
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 37 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scott goldberg »

I was up on "Peak X" on the 12th; had similar conditions to what Alpenglo described. Dry trailhead, but then in the gulleys and hanging meadows we had to break trail in waist deep snow. All in all, we were looking for a day of adventure, and came prepared, so it was a great day with no issues other than a whole lot of exercise!!! I think we had the whole LCW to ourselves but maybe you'll be lucky and someone will break trail for you :-D

I would agree, bring the snowshoes, and microspikes for the windblown/icy areas. There's been several snow days since then, and unless it warms up a lot next week you will see a lot of the same...dry and windblown areas, interspersed with deep, wet/heavy snow.

Have a blast!
maurer_kg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maurer_kg »

Awesome. Thanks Scott and Alpenglow!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

A lot of snow in the area the last week or so, came down in feet.
Snowshoes/micro spikes would probably be useful.
beachrya
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by beachrya »

I'm thinking about running the "South Lost Creek Loop" described here http://www.thecohiker.com/item/south-lost-creek-loop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on Saturday, May 21st.

I'd appreciate any updates on Lost Creek area snowpack over the coming weeks! This loop goes through a north-facing pass that tops out around 10,600'.

Thanks,

Ryan
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

Chiming in to say keep the updates coming! I too intend to be up there mid/late May. SNODAS is indicating a nice thick snowpack up there right about now.
Tejonmax
14ers: 25 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tejonmax »

Just a note about Bison and McCurdy peaks. I was up to Goose Creek today via Tarryall Rd from the East (Lake George). They are doing road construction on Hwy 77 between Lake George and the Ute Creek Trailhead. The sign says "Expect 1-2 hour delays). If you are going to Ute Creek Trailhead during the week I would come in from the West via Jefferson. That is a really long wait.

As far as snow goes, I can see Bison and McCurdy peaks everyday on the way to the post office. There is still a lot of snow at the top of both.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

I was up there on Saturday, via Ute Creek. Totally dry until the Arm. Snowshoes are definitely needed once you hit the Bison Arm, still feet of snow heading up. The plateau is windblown and clear but picks up again as you head towards the monolith and summit. Here are some pictures. Towards McCurdy, heading to Bison peak, on the way back down the Arm. Good luck.
Attachments
IMAG2362.jpg
IMAG2362.jpg (120.32 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
IMAG2356.jpg
IMAG2356.jpg (109.1 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
IMAG2340.jpg
IMAG2340.jpg (139.47 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
-MacG
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

5/21 - 5/22:

Went up to McCurdy Park to climb McCurdy Tower.

South facing stuff is melting out really fast. You can currently get away with hiking up to 11k on south-facing terrain without encountering continuous snow. This is applicable to the trails starting from Ute Creek, Twin Eagles, and Goose Creek. Goose Creek is basically snow free through Refrigerator Gulch. Brookside-McCurdy is snow-free from the southern terminus until the first major saddle above 10.5k. McCurdy Park is still filled with thin snow, should be decimated by Memorial Day weekend. North facing aspects will take longer than that. I don't think you will need snowshoes to get to McCurdy Park by Memorial Day weekend, there was about a mile of on-and-off postholing (sometimes waist deep) this weekend, but patchy and melting fast. McCurdy Mountain south side (above 11k) is a mixture of continuous snow and bare slopes, also melting incredibly fast. Lots of snow on the north-facing approach to McCurdy Tower.

JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Ute Creek Trail is 99% dry below Bison plateau. Plateau is ~25/75 snow/bare by my route.
IMG_1543_.JPG
IMG_1543_.JPG (253.94 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
IMG_1544_.JPG
IMG_1544_.JPG (117.56 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Hopefully heading out tomorrow to do the Goose Creek ~35 mile loop. Any latest snow conditions? I'm assuming after the past 2 weeks it's pretty dry, but wanted to see if anybody's been out on Bison or McCurdy in the last week or so.

Thanks, Tom