West Beckwith information?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

West Beckwith information?

Post by yorksman »

Does anybody have information/trip report about hiking West Beckwith mountain in the Elks.

Jody
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Re: West Beckwith information?

Post by blakhawk »

http://www.summitpost.org/five-cirquetr ... dge/159044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ive done east beckwith from lost lake slough...and all it is from there is a ridge hike out to west from there...enjoy!!! Beautiful area...i love that whole side of the elks. The link i provided has more description.

Oops...i forgot theres quite the saddle n distance between the two...i need to look at me maps when i get home...i dont know of any trail that goes up it...its going to be a lengthy bushwhack i believe...
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

This would be a gorgeous peak to summit in prime aspen changing season with the huge aspen groves around there. Years ago, I hiked up Mt. Ruby and Mt. Owen for that very reason, and Beckwith beckoned. :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Actually i think from lost lake is your best bet...the other side to access it is from coal creek (south side)and theres nothing else that comes close or closer to the mountain than either of those two. Ive been up coal creek,and the best place to try and access it from there is private ranch property...but even then i bet its a heinous bushwhack right when ya leave the road,and the soutjern slopes dont look like fun either...id use lost lake and get to the saddle between east n west by either way to the route i linked...long hard day for sure..but oh the solitude..you wouldnt see a soul out there.
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

mtgirl wrote:This would be a gorgeous peak to summit in prime aspen changing season with the huge aspen groves around there. Years ago, I hiked up Mt. Ruby and Mt. Owen for that very reason, and Beckwith beckoned. :)
Hope ya get to it some day...its worth it...

I did a ruby range traverse once..it was one of my many more memorable days in the hills :)
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

blakhawk wrote:Actually i think from lost lake is your best bet...the other side to access it is from coal creek (south side)and theres nothing else that comes close or closer to the mountain than either of those two. Ive been up coal creek,and the best place to try and access it from there is private ranch property...but even then i bet its a heinous bushwhack right when ya leave the road,and the soutjern slopes dont look like fun either...id use lost lake and get to the saddle between east n west by either way to the route i linked...long hard day for sure..but oh the solitude..you wouldnt see a soul out there.
+1, using coal creek would be brutal. Use a topo + compass and GPS and just bushwhack over to the saddle up schaffer creek. It's a beautiful area and you probably won't see anybody except for maybe a hunter in the next month...archery elk season starts Aug 29th.