Black Mountain Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Spider
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Black Mountain Traverse

Post by Spider »

Has anybody out there done the Black Mountain Traverse which is between Grizzly Peak and Arapahoe Basin? I did a recon of it last Tuesday but was stopped by an 80 foot cliff on the south side of Black Mountain. There may be a way around it via the west face. Any advice?

Thanks,

Spider
Spider
jlarocco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Black Mountain Traverse

Post by jlarocco »

I haven't done it, but I know it's pretty popular.

You've probably seen this, but: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And in winter: http://www.summitpost.org/the-a-basin-t ... ter/770492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

I did the traverse a few years ago. There is definitely a way through it at class 3/4, not sure of the exact spot you are referencing though. Looking through one of the links already posted I do remember shooting right of one of the major walls and climbing a short slab around it? That's a pretty fun route, hope you get back and solve it!
Spider
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Spider »

Thanks guys! Yes, I think the key is to shoot off to the right or the west side of Black Mountain. The text and trip reports are enough to get me through the traverse. It appears that the crux is starting up Lenawee rather than descending on the south side of Black Mountain. If it's solved this week, possibly a winter attempt should I find somebody interested as it doesn't look like a winter solo route. Thanks again!
Spider