scrambling 12ers near winter park?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KevinK
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 212
Trip Reports (7)

scrambling 12ers near winter park?

Post by KevinK »

Haven't spent much time in the area but planning on a hike tomorrow. Doess anyone know if there any above treeline 12ers in the area that involve scrambling? Seems like mostly walk ups around there and would love to find something a little more fun.
Oh mama ain't it good to be alive
On your mountaintop and feeling high

-Railroad Earth
oh2co
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 15 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: scrambling 12ers near winter park?

Post by oh2co »

Lone Eagle is a little further north closer to Granby that's no joke for one under 12k. Jasper Peak is also a good one.

"It's like wearing skirts instead of trousers, it makes the wildlife nervous."

"If you really want to see the stars in all their glory, then you have to go out into the wilderness"
cordisimo
14ers: 31  4 
13ers: 46 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cordisimo »

North Ridge of Mt Neva is fantastic and is perfect to combine with Jasper. I traversed around Lone Eagle yesterday (Achonee, Hopi, Iroquois, George, Apache, Navajo) and there is some really fun and solid scrambling in there from 3rd class to 5.5ish. I approached it all from Brainard but it looks like Monarch Lake would be a better (shorter) approach. Meadow Creek TH for Neva/Jasper I believe. Essentially all the IPW 12ers seem to be a blast, you can't go wrong :-D
rideWP
14ers: 42 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by rideWP »

The very top of Byers has some scrambling. Either that or head up Caribou Pass and scramble up any of the mountains on your way.
I ain't never seen 'em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb! These here is God's finest sculpturing's! There ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here! And there ain't no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent...
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

I was browsing books at Neptunes and noticed a "Best Scrambling CO" (sic) book. I only briefly glanced at it and plan to take the time to give it a close look next time. I don't know if it has any routes near Winter Park, but IMO it should.

I'm thinking that Lone Eagle is solid 4th class by it's easy route, but take a look online or in a guide to be sure. By 4th I mean that most people really want a rope. And the approach is not trivial...

I don't remember South Arapaho having any scrambling, but it was fun and had neat exposure that's easily avoided.
When life gets you down, climb!