Dragon's Tail Couloir Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wrinkledpants
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dragon's Tail Couloir Conditions

Post by wrinkledpants »

Did you need snowshoes?
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Climbed Dragonstail today. Apron is mostly melted out (and the rest is going fast), we were able to stay on good snow from about the middle and up. The choke point before the branch is dry, but easy enough to get up. We took the left branch, had a couple big steps/moves on to rock at a couple rock steps. Looks like the cornice is still up on the right branch, wasn't able to get good eyes on the snow on the right branch. Got a decent freeze with last night's clear skies, slightly soft but we felt safe the whole way up. Never felt a need for snowshoes, approach is dry and descent down Flattop trail has pretty solid snow. Will try to load up some photos later.
Small_P1070754.jpg
Small_P1070754.jpg (293.23 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
ajlavigne
14ers: 37  5 
13ers: 75 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by ajlavigne »

Re-birthing an old post instead of starting a new one...

Headed up to RMNP Friday hoping to climb Dragon's Tail on Saturday dark and early (4:00am) and descend via Flattop since it's supposed to be low 50s. Not much precip between now and then, but NOAA was calling for up to 20" from the last couple days. Not too worried about snowpack by then, but if anyone heads up there in the next couple days and wants to note conditions I'd appreciate it.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity. -John Muir
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

ajlavigne wrote:Re-birthing an old post instead of starting a new one...

Headed up to RMNP Friday hoping to climb Dragon's Tail on Saturday dark and early (4:00am) and descend via Flattop since it's supposed to be low 50s. Not much precip between now and then, but NOAA was calling for up to 20" from the last couple days. Not too worried about snowpack by then, but if anyone heads up there in the next couple days and wants to note conditions I'd appreciate it.

There were some recent conditions post on DT over at TGR.
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

There was good snowpack this weekend, though temperatures had been above freezing overnight, so it got mushy quickly.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Somewhat of a Prick was just up there. Send him a PM.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg (239.52 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Was up there today. Lots of recent slide activity which seemed to make it difficult for some skiers we saw. Big cornice on the right branch, did not see one on the left.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
ajlavigne
14ers: 37  5 
13ers: 75 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by ajlavigne »

Pictures from Saturday morning. Lots of slide evidence on the apron. Heard/saw a larger rock slide on the southern side (north-east aspect) of the Tyndall Creek valley just after sunrise. Not positive on times, but we left Bear Lake at 4:15, apron at 5:30ish, took a break around the midpoint, and topped out around 8:15. No overnight freeze and starting temp was about 38, so the snow was knee-deep in spots. Following glissade & slide paths helped eliminate larger buckets to the upper section that stays firm in the shade. Only a couple rock moves necessary on the crux step right now. Descended via Flattop Mtn trail.

Several other groups climbed up behind us and a ski group was getting ready to descend when we left the couloir.

To second what alpineair mentioned above, the right fork still has a sizeable cornice.
Attachments
Rock Step.jpg
Rock Step.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Fork Section.jpg
Fork Section.jpg (222.54 KiB) Viewed 850 times
DT Couloir from Emerald Lake.jpg
DT Couloir from Emerald Lake.jpg (215.89 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity. -John Muir