Meadow Mountain (Allenspark)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Meadow Mountain (Allenspark)

Post by AlexeyD »

Anyone been up there recently? Is there continuous snow all the way down to the trailhead? Looking for something moderate, not too high, and fairly close to ski on Sunday during the snowstorm...
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Meadow Mountain (Allenspark)

Post by mike offerman »

I was at the Ironclads (just 2 miles to the East) on Saturday. The elevation was 9100 and there was just a few patches of snow. I would guess that much of the valley you would be starting out in would be snow free (I think that the trailhead is around 8600).
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

I plan to be in that area tomorrow. Will update this tomorrow evening, or Friday AM.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

I was up there several weeks ago before all the storms, the last mile of road/trail was melted out pretty bad. The coverage was good up high though. I'm hoping to get out Sunday for something easy, maybe flat top or hidden valley if reports come back as still melted out.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

So the snow was pretty crummy today on St Vrain Mtn. We didn't even make the summit before deciding we didn't want to ski any more of that than we had to. Very surprising to me but there was almost nothing fresh - I was really thinking that we would have a good 6-10 inches fresh based on the precip this last week, but no.

The normal winter trailhead is at the junction between Rock Creek and the turn to the official St Vrain Mtn trail. We parked and started skinning from about .6-.75 mile up the Rock Creek road beyond that, a little ways past the meadow which is more or less the trailhead around May.

Snow coverage is sparse along the lower segment of road (but still enough to skin on), and good beyond that.

We stopped about 3.5 miles in, at about 11,100' where you have a great view of the St Vrain summit and the bowl immediately below.

Saw a nice set of bear tracks....those and the cloud bank down on the plains were probably the highlights of the day....
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day