Suggest a Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Suggest a Peak

Post by C-Shepguy »

My sister is visiting in 2 weeks and I'm trying to decide what (summit) hike to do with her. See if you can think of something that meets the criteria:
-within 2 hours of Golden
-preferably close to or above 12k feet elevation
-not a snow/slush fest (hoping to just go with hiking boots) (I know the weather can alter this either way, just hoping to research ideas with the best chances of less snow)

I'm aware of Grizzly Peak and might try that. Might Hallet be in play? Or something else around RMNP? Or Buffalo Mountain by Silverthorne?

Thank ya kindly
codyjh1991
14ers: 11  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Suggest a Peak

Post by codyjh1991 »

Was up at RMNP today and didn't do any hiking but judging from a little walk around bear lake I probably wouldn't go up Hallett without spikes at least. It seems like it's probably a slush fest in some parts.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Check out Chief Mtn, an 11er, access off Hwy 103 (Squaw Pass Rd). It's approx 2 mi r/t with 1000 ft elev gain - really excellent views.
If you sister isn't acclimated, would start slow and gentle to see how she responds to hiking at elevation prior to planning a bigger day.

Here's a decent link that looks helpful:http://www.hikingincolorado.org/chief.html
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Sniktau or Cupid off Loveland Pass. Great views!
Exit 216 on I-70, less than an hour from Golden.
On Easter it was almost snowfree to the first ridge and in the Cupid direction (SW).
You might appreciate poles and yaktrax in the Sniktau direction (SE).
Cold wind on ridge.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

I don't have any recent beta but Twin Sisters might be an idea (11,427ft).

There was a trail re-route after the 2013 flood but the trail is fixed. The north side would be snow or ice most likely but you should call for recent trail conditions if this is of interest.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

peter303 wrote:Sniktau or Cupid off Loveland Pass. Great views!
Exit 216 on I-70, less than an hour from Golden.
On Easter it was almost snowfree to the first ridge and in the Cupid direction (SW).
You might appreciate poles and yaktrax in the Sniktau direction (SE).
Cold wind on ridge.
+1

be prepared for a windy day though. But the winds keep the snow off the ridge, so it keeps it dry and avalanche free
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche